Thread: First Infill Plane

First Infill Plane

I decided to build a couple of infil / infill plane a couple of years ago and finality finished the first one. It has a 50 deg. bed angle and Rosewood tote and bun.
    Plane 1.jpg
    Plane 2.jpg
    Plane 6.jpg
    Plane 7.jpg
    Plane 4.jpg
    Plane 5.jpg
    Plane 3.jpg

Wow, that came out nicely. So you made wooden patterns and created a mold for casting around them? Do you have more information on this technique? It sounds really interesting. How are the shavings? Is it hard to adjust the depth with the blade shorter than the bed?

Nicholas,
    I'm not sure from your post whether you are looking for feedback or not…

It is very impressive that you were able to make these castings, and the body casting actually looks just fine to me. On the other hand, there are some significant issues with the other parts. The main issue, as Alan mentioned, is that you have no way to hammer-adjust the iron. The tote is much too tall and blocky, and the knob looks pretty blocky as well. The lever cap is much too thick. And a smaller knurled knob would look a lot nicer than the wooden knob you've made. If you can make a body casting, I'm sure you can handle making a proper knob.

Fortunately, fixing all these things is much easier than making the casting. If you are planning to make more, I'd encourage you to study some historical examples, even if just pictures from the internet, by Norris or Mathieson. Contemporary examples by Raney Nelson, Conrad Sauer, Ron Brese, and others would also be good to look at. There is no need to be original when you are a beginning planemaker--copy some good examples and get a design you like and that functions well. You can go for originality later.

I hope my post doesn't come across as unduly harsh…I noticed that you weren't getting many responses, and figured some honest criticism would be better than just ignoring your thread. Good luck with your planemaking.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Allen: If you look on u tube you will see a lot of casting information.

Steve: First these planes are not for sale or will they be entered in any beauty contests. If you look at the early planes you will see that they are on the robust side. They must of had bigger hands back then. As I was fitting the tote to my hand this is were it got to be comfortable so I quit cutting on it. If you look closely, the slope of the bed angle lets me slide a hammer down to hit the top of the iron which works well. What I'm after is a set of planes with higher bed angles 50 and 55 deg's. All and all this turned out to be a nice cutting and working plane.

+1 Steve on your suggestions. Apparently Nicholas does not seem to care how his plane looks,and that is fine for him,I suppose. By showing any object you have made,you risk getting comments,hopefully,and for the most part,helpful and constructive as yours were.

The hardest part of making any object is in perfecting the design and in making it artistic as well as functional. That is the part I like the most about making things.
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-05-2015 at 1:18 PM.

I say that is is fine job. The looks remind me of the Record Hybrid plane. If it cuts well, then success is a achieved. What is few extra curves here and there ? I wish my first one would turn out as nice.

"What is a few extra curves here and there?" That is quite a statement,Tim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    "What is a few extra curves here and there?" That is quite a statement,Tim.
    Makes me think of my younger days when we would say of a particularly voluptuous woman, "she has curves in places where most women don't even have places."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The curves were referring to the bulky and blocky comments in the previous posts. The addition of of a few curves would create a more organic shape. I feel the body and lever caps is on par with the current makers.
    Tim

Congratulations on your first infill! I wish I had the ability to cast and machine metal, but I lack the equipment and most of the training. It would be fun to learn.

The wood and the finish are sure beautiful. What size is it - looks like a #3 or #4 smoother - is that about right. (I know nothing about infills, other than they are handsome tools.)

Nicholas, when you slide the hammer down to hit the top of the iron, does it scratch or otherwise mar the tote? It would be a bummer to put such a nice finish on it and damage it that way.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-05-2015 at 9:29 PM. Reason: spelling