Thread: Intro & An Epiphany

Post Intro & An Epiphany

Not sure if this is the correct forum to use for introductions, but since I'm mostly turning these days, it seems the most appropriate.

Just wanted to officially introduce myself - I've made a couple of posts & gotten helpful feedback, and have used the site extensively for finding answers to my questions as I've been getting up to speed on turning. I really appreciate all of the knowledge that gets shared on this forum!

About myself: I live in southern New Hampshire with a wife, 2 kids, and my folks in an in-law apt. I'm 46 yrs. old, and to support this crazy habit, I work at Big Blue as a Paid Search strategist.

I started turning about 9 months ago, when I received a small mini/midi lathe from Harbor Freight, along with a set of their starter tools. It's quickly become a full-blown addiction, and I absolutely love it! I've also discovered that it's a nearly unending money pit, so I was able to negotiate a small monthly budget with my wife, which is not nearly enough, but it helps. I've been into wood working since I was in high school, and am fortunate to have a nice space in the basement for all my toys. But since I've started turning, it's really become the main focus for me. I love working with wood, and I find there's something almost meditative about turning.

And now for my epiphany: As I said, I started out with a basic set of lathe tools from Harbor Freight. I've slowly been adding to that as I have the need. But recently I came into a few extra dollars, and decided to break down and splurge on the Ellsworth 5/8" Pro-PM bowl gouge, along with the jig and video. Wow... that's all I can say. I almost feel like it's cheating, it's so much of a better experience all around... it's solid and stable, and stays sharp, and with the grind, I can make a number of different cuts with it, from rough all the way through to finishing. I'm not advocating for the Ellsworth gouge specifically, but just the difference in heft and quality when you buy a high-quality tool. I know lots of folks say you shouldn't pay more just for a certain grind, but for me it was worth it, to have as a reference, because I didn't have a point of reference for what the correct grind profile should be prior to this.

Now, having experienced the difference in quality, I can fully appreciate the cost differential, and can't see myself going back to buying cheap tools. They were good for learning on (especially learning to sharpen), but I don't see them getting much use going forward.

Thanks for reading.

Jeff - Welcome to the Creek! If you really want to crash-dive into turning, I highly recommend getting with your local turning club. Members are happy to help new folks learn how to turn safely and give valuable info on tools and grinds! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Click here to see if there is a AAW chapter near you.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks Steve, appreciate that! I think I found a club near me and am waiting to hear back. It would be nice to connect with some other folks that share the passion and can help me improve. I'll post some photos soon. Speaking of which, I saw in the forum that there's a 'critique requested' process... is that still in use?

Jeff, sorry to say but the critique process that we started years ago has fallen to the wayside. Members still offer their opinions on what to do to improve but as far as a formal critique, it hasn't been done in a few years. Course, nothing says it couldn't get started again!

Hope the club is close by for you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Welcome to the vortex. It only speeds up as you get sucked in. I will say that my 5/8" Ellsworth is my favorite go to tool to point that there is only about 1/2" left to sharpen and fit in my jig. Of course by now, I have many others, but you still have favorites. I also like the 3/8" Crown PM bowl gouges.

Welcome Jeff. The vortex awaits you. I second what Steve has said about your local club! I too love my 5/8" Ellsworth and all my carbide tools as well as my Crown tools. I started out with a set of these: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html
    Still use them all the time. Can`t wait to see some of your work.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

I'm sorry to have to say this but... you're screwed! I would suggest that you take a second job at once because the "small monthly budget" you negotiated with your wife is likely to become a bone of contention as you get inevitably sucked into the vortex. You're gonna need some extra dough and also some creative justifications like "I really need that new tool to make the (whatever) you wanted." and "Don't worry, pretty soon I'll start selling these things and making money that way." and "Just think about all the dough we are going to save on Christmas and birthday gifts!" Also, you will want to be preparing for the expansion of your shop space in order to house all of the stuff you will end up with. Maybe you should take two extra jobs.
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    You're gonna need some extra dough and also some creative justifications like "I really need that new tool to make the (whatever) you wanted." and "Don't worry, pretty soon I'll start selling these things and making money that way." and "Just think about all the dough we are going to save on Christmas and birthday gifts!"
    Dave - I think you're right, I am screwed. The funny thing is, I've already put all 3 of those justifications out there!