Thread: mesquite haul!

mesquite haul!

I found a man clearing ~600 acres of mesquite and selling the wood for firewood. i convinced him to let me load a trailer and my truck for $150 and I got to rummage through his pile (probably 50' across and 10-12' high in the middle). Needless to say, I was like a kid in a candy store. There were a few massive (20" across) chunks in there that were solid as a rock. I probably got 30-40 pieces, and I cut probably 15-20 rounds from 12-20" across to make lazy susans/coin dishes from. I usually cut really badly cracked mesquite this way because I can easily epoxy the cracks in, then turn a coin/key/cigar ash tray from it, like this:

The property is in Ennis, TX about 30 minutes south of Dallas. If anyone wants the contact to go get some of their own wood, PM me and I will pass along the guys #.

unnamed.jpg
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

That's a nice (U) haul. Congrats

Wow. That'll last a few bowls!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Well shucks, too far to drive, and transporters haven't been invented yet..... We don't get that around here.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Well shucks, too far to drive, and transporters haven't been invented yet..... We don't get that around here.

robo hippy
    you wouldn't like it anyway...it doesn't warp.

Well Shawn, it does make for nice boxes. I have had a few pieces of it. Some turns out more brown when done, and one piece was really red. I have this thing about woods that I don't get much of...

robo hippy

enjoy....good stuff