Thread: Special thanks to my new Neander buddy!

Special thanks to my new Neander buddy!

The Internet is a great tool and it can connect people in ways they might have never imagined. The downside is that lots of details can be lost when we talk about sharpness and finish ready surfaces,etc.
    Well, I reached out to our very own Mike Allen as he lives relatively close to me and asked if he would be willing to spend some time with a relatively new woodworker so that I might pick his brain. Mike is a class act guy and he did not hesitate to open his shop and his home to me. The time that I spent with him today, I felt like I learned more in three hours than I have in three years. I have a better idea of what a sharp plane feels like, what a sharp saw cuts like, and what an unnatural vintage saw collection looks like Mike was even so kind as to instruct me step by step how to file a crosscut saw and then he sent me home with said saw!

Guys and gals, do yourself a favor and seek out a fellow woodworker, pick their brains a little and share a laugh or two! Your not likely to regret it.

Mike, I can't thank you enough and I hope that we can get together again soon!

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a great day.

One of my favorite sayings:

When one teaches, two learn.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Well said Jim

This is when a "Like" button would be handy here. Seriously, kudos to you both.

Aaron

Stuff like this is great to hear. Thanks for posting it.

This is pretty much the exact situation I experienced! I knew I wanted to learn neander ways. I reseached and bought neander tools. I scoured the internet and made a bit of headway, but then taking a simple class at LV on making and using shooting boards, which I only took because every other handtool class was full, I ended up connecting with the fellow who was teaching the class. Funny enough, he was a last minute fill in teacher as well as the usual fellow had something come up. Anyways, after talking (which pretty much was comprised of me asking a zillion questions) and hitting it off, he invited me to his home shop.

I learned more in an afternoon from him than I did in the first year of going at it alone. To this day he has become one of my best friends and I learn from him every time we hang out in the shop...

Blog Entries
    Mike, you're far too modest about your skills and too generous by far in your comments.

I second your advice about seeking out a fellow Neanderthal in your area (as Jim K. frequently suggests). Always a good time! I don't know about you guys, but the LOML really doesn't want to hear about my latest hand tool adventure (even if she pretends she does). Good thing she doesn't read SMC.

I'm holding you to your offer to let me know If you find BBQ in our area remotely close to your native Nashville. I also appreciate you indulging my shop music of blues from waaay before your time! (IMHO- you can't go wrong w/ Muddy Waters/ BB King/Ray Charles).

Thanks to you and your lovely wife for your service to our country -Simper Fi!

Mike

Mike, I enjoyed the music greatly and instead of finding you a place for bbq, I might have to just make you some buddy!

Mike, you've got mail.

Thanks for the heads up Curt!

This is exactly why I blame Dave Anderson for my addiction!

Seriously. There is no better way to get a good start than by a little mentoring.

I love that too. Wish there were more near me. I did immensely enjoy a similar rendezvous with Brian Holcombe earlier this year.

Blog Entries
    ^ That was fun, we'll have to get together again.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.