Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are your top 5 'most used' expensive tools

Which machines get used the most?

Jointer (Grizzly 8" G0586 with Byrd shelix head)
    Planer (DW745)
    Tablesaw (Grizzly G1022ZF, 10" @ 2hp, w/Shop Fox fence)
    Compound Miter Saw (DW705 12")
    Bandsaw (Grizzly 17" G0513X2BF)

Honorable mention goes to my mini router table, a Bosch RA1171, that I use with a PC690.

(edit) didn't even think about the dust collector (Jet DC1100A, modified with a Wynn can filter and P.Thein baffle), which I got used off of CL for about what I'd paid for the CMS above.

What expensive tool did you invest in that sits mostly unused?

As a general rule (and everyone on this board knows about these kinds of rules), I don't buy tools until I actually have a specific need for using them. But...I have an older model (D1258R) Leigh dovetail jig that I found on CL and then upgraded with a kit from Leigh. I had expected to use it for building some dresser drawers that are planned for a future project. Right now, however, it sits on a shelf while I'm struggling with my first set of hand cut half-blind DTs...go figure.

What are you making?

Furniture, in general, and hopefully of the "fine" variety (only time will tell). But my first official project was a set of holiday deer displays for the front lawn, based on plans I bought out of Wood magazine.

last project - traditional Japanese style tatami platform bed, standard king size, in solid ash with poplar support slats
    current project - coffee table, inspired by an italian made (Selva) model, made from solid european beech and beech ply.
    future projects - makeup table/vanity in chestnut or ash, bookcases in cherry and doug. fir, barstools for our kitchen counter, other beds, dressers, chairs, etc.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 10-06-2015 at 10:57 AM.

I have no combination machines or slider table saw. I have a benchtop hollow chisel mortiser and use it but not as much as other tools. My most expensive tool is probably my tracksaw which gets used the most currently. I am mainly doing house stuff with an occasional set of shelves. I need to make a bed or two. Before buying this house I made 5 bedroom sets, 12 chairs for kitchens, one complete set of kitchen cabinets, all the interior doors of one house, etc.. I use my table saw (Ryobi BT3100), RAS (another Ryobi) and CMS (Hitachi) a lot too. My 4 decent routers see regular use as do my pneumatic nailers (23gauge to framing), cordless nailer (Ryobi 18 gauge) and biscuit joiner (Skil). I don't have a domino but may get one someday. My Rigid shop vacuum/dust deputy combination gets used with the other tools and may thus see the most use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Most expensive investment used the least - wife number 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    That's funny right there.
    And nervy. I'm impressed
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

I guess the cyclone however would be my most used expensive tool as it gets used for every machine in the shop.
    Ah...I completely overlooked that on my own response. Very good point. Same for me in actuality.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

SCM Wide Belt
    Griggio Planer
    Felder Edge Sander
    Griggio Jointer
    Felder RL-160 Dust Collector

When answering, it dawned on me that except for my 10 year old 36" drum sander, and my fairly new SawStop, my Onieda DC, with plumbing, IS my most expensive tool.

We are now designing a shed outside the shop to put it in, which will make it the most expensive, if we do it.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 10-10-2015 at 4:43 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post

What expensive tool did you invest in that sits mostly unused?

As a general rule (and everyone on this board knows about these kinds of rules), I don't buy tools until I actually have a specific need for using them. But...I have an older model (D1258R) Leigh dovetail jig that I found on CL and then upgraded with a kit from Leigh.
    I had the same experience. I bought a Leigh setup, including a router, I think (I'm not sure, routers are SOOOOO hard to keep track of), but I'm on my second batch of drawers in a couple of weeks, and I used the Keller setup for both of them. Maybe one of these days the Leigh jig will get used, but not this month.

Mine are Multi-split AC unit, Table saw, Dust Collector, Planner, Air Compressor. I listed these in the order of use.

Mine are:

Most Used
    cyclone DC
    Sawstop
    wood lathes
    jointer/planer
    miter saw
    router table

least used

scroll saw
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Jointer, Table saw, Band saw, Drum sander (Because I mostly use highly figured wood this replaces the straight knived planer).
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]