Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with all your shavings?

Question What do you do with all your shavings?

I have way more shavings than I possible know what to do with piling up. I can use some for the rabbit cage (when they're the right kind of wood), and I imagine they'll be great for starting fires this winter as well. Other than that, what do y'all do with all those shavings?

Mine go to the burn pile

Best fire pit kindling ever...other than that they go in my brush pile to return to the earth

I dump mine out back of my shop. When the pile gets to high, I pull it down with my FEL.
    Joe

yard waste dump with the grass clippings, leaves, branches etc.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Compost pile.

Red
    RED

Mulch around trees. Mix in leftover paint cans to harden and dispose of them. Clean up oil or other liquid spills.

Compost, fire starters and also to line our garden pathways. Neighbors also use my shavings for the same reasons.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

A local horse stable happily takes my maple shavings to use as bedding.

instead of using natural bailing twine or pine straw the neighbor uses the non toxic shavings for his bee smoker said the work very well.

A bunch of mine (as long as there is no black walnut) gets placed around the trees on my 6 acre place. A bucket or so of them gets used in my beekeeping smoker.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Summer time they get mixed with manure and grass cuttings to make soil, in winter as they dry on the shop floor, get fed into an outdoor wood boiler along with other wood and in turn, heat the shop floor. This is third year and the system is working well.

You have radiant floor heat in your shop? Sweet.

Compost pile

Someone recommended to me, for the holidays, adding perfumed oil and some kind of colored beads, perhaps mixing colors like cherry, walnut, and white ash, and selling in cellophane as potpourri. I don't plan to try it but it's a nice Martha Stewart-type idea.

I do think shavings would work splendidly in a meat smoker. Soak the shavings and throw them on charcoal- oak, pecan, cherry, etc. Mmmmm.

Otherwise, on my compost mountain at the back of the property. Good exercise wheeling the 55 gal. drum out there.