Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Light Curly Maple Plate

Very Light Curly Maple Plate

Sometimes the wood does all of the work for you.

This is 1 coat of WTF followed by several coats of General Finishes Water-based topcoat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Very nice looking piece Brian. But what is the point of putting the GF water based stuff on top of the WTF, which is a water based top coat product?

Not meant as a wise guy comment, just want to understand the finish technique.
    Last edited by Tony De Masi; 10-03-2015 at 3:39 PM.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

That kind of wood always cries out to me - "Dye me, dye me!"

Tony, I barely have any WTF left and can't find any replacement, except in 8 oz squirt bottles. I have a whole lot of pieces to make for an order. The water-based topcoat is a horrible base coat so this is a temporary compromise.

John, I ALWAYS learn from your comments. What kind of dye would you use? I have never used dyes except once food coloring as a joke and stains a long time ago.

I mostly use Transtint, which can be diluted in either ETOH or water. But, I also use Procion MX dyes by Jacquard, which are water soluble and cellulose reactive. The Procion are a bit tricky to use, as what you see isn't what you get. For instance, the chocolate brown is purple in liquid form. But, the colors are described accurately, keeping in mind that the underlying tone of the wood (amber/yellow with maple) will affect the color - even with the Transtint. If you add a blue dye to the maple you show, you will likely get an underlying green tint. If the maple is very white, then it is easier to get a true blue.

For curly maple, I usually will start with a very diluted black wash, which will highlight the stripe/curl and provide a deep contrast when the piece is dyed a color. Then, apply the color you are after. Again, keep in mind that all black dyes have a blue effect, so often a red over a black wash will produce a deeper red - leaning slightly toward a scarlet.

Best to always have a scrap to play with if you want a predetermined result. But, then again, sometimes it is fun just to see what you get!! I think there are several dyed pieces shown on my website, as I recall, but email me if you want some images.

I love curly maple!

I agree with John - some color would really make curl like this pop! Great looking plate - what are the dimensions?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thank you, John. Whether it shows it or not, these blanks are exceptionally white to start with. My supplier sold them for under $4/bf which is really good around here for very curly maple. I have made 4 plates so far and have 2 more blanks to go, so it looks like it is time to play

Steve, this is 4/4 stock that comes almost shiny smooth from the supplier. So I make the recess with a forstner and then mount it and never turn it around to the other side. It is 11-1/2 " across.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 10-03-2015 at 5:09 PM.

Nice job Brian. Great wood selection and great job on the shape of the platter!

OK I've got to ask. What is WTF? It's probably so obvious that I can't come up with it. Your plate is beautiful.

Red
    RED

Beautiful wood and well turned. First I finish sand the piece. I dye them black a d the sand 90% of the black off. Then a red or blue over that. The black really adds shadows and dept. a light scrubbing with steel wool will provide highlights and smooth any raise grain. As John state yellow will turn green. There is extra sanding , but well worth it.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Ditto Red's question. What is WTF, other than "what the #$@%?" Beautiful piece.

Tim got the prize. General Finishes "Wood Turners Finish". I wish someone would sell quarts.

There are only a limited number of finishing materials but many mixes. What is in WTF--real info.

It is an oil and water hybrid, according to the website.