Thread: Wall mounted tool cabinet over wide bench?

Wall mounted tool cabinet over wide bench?

My 20 foot long built-in bench looks like it will end up at around 33" deep. I have about 7 liner feet of wall space on one side of a window and and 3 feet into a corner on the other. Coming around the corner I have another 5 feet of wall space. I am looking for ideas on how build cabinets that will make use of the extra depth while still presenting tools at a comfortable distance from the bench face. I would also like to be able to close every thing up to protect my tools from humidity. I've been playing with the ergonomics a bit and am convinced that holding a a Stanley #8 at full extention is not the way to go.

I had some tool storage over my previous wide bench but nothing that needed protection from humidity. Edge tools (chisels, planes, etc) went in a separate closed cabinet. Above the bench- saws, screwdrivers, hammers/mallets, files/ rasps, etc.

I have cabinets above my bench for all my planes and chisels, but the bench is only 22" wide.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thirty three inches is wide enough to cause some issues on reaching taller cabinets. How about a step-stool stored under the bench?

Blog Entries
    On the other hand, a tool cabinet over a workbench has never made much sense to me as it kills your vertical area. I do more than just plane boards at the bench although would have one dedicated for that if I could. At 33" deep you would have less of that impact with a cabinet mounted over your work surface. Temper this with the fact that I'm not a "tool well" person either. We all work differently.

If you will be storing your hand planes this may work out even better if you go with a ramped till which kicks the lower edge out to create the angle. This along with your mounting method could push your bottom edge out 10" - 12". Still more of a reach than I would want to do as I worked but, my tool cabinet would not be in the way of my work either.

I waffled between putting my wall hung cabinets behind me as I stood at the bench or to the side. I ended up putting them to the side which does not keep my chisels at my finger tips but, allows me to rotate a crib sub-assembly without banging my work into something over my bench. Taking a step or two to my left for a mallet and then putting it back after I'm done has worked for me. Perhaps the area over the short leg of the "L" could be for your tool cab while still leaving you a work surface for low items. Just food for thought.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-05-2015 at 8:35 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    What will be under the bench?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

image.jpgimage.jpgIm struggling with posting pictures. Heres a partial view of the base and the 24" tool tray. The 2x10 is set to mock up the full width when the top is mounted. The Laminate beam will have yellow pine faces and plywood and hard board for a 15" wide work surface. Under the bench organization will start off as bulk storage, but i hope will develop a bit, as far as cubbies and and such. The under bench space is generally 2x2', so any drawers will have a long extension, with out considering the full 33" of the bench top.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James W Glenn; 10-05-2015 at 10:15 PM.

James, If it is possible I would suggest placing the bench 4 feet or more away from the wall. This gives you access on all four sides and allows you to wall mount your tools in either cabinets or some form of rack. My bench is 4 feet from the wall and I find having access on all sides greatly enhances my ability to work. It is particularly useful during assembly and/or finishing operations.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I have a shelf over my bench against the wall. My bench is only 24" wide, and I find it very awkward to reach for things on the shelf. The shelf also gets in the way of assembly. I do not like it.

I'm with Dave. If I had the space, I'd put the bench a couple feet away from the wall.

20 feet long, you should be able to fit a lot of messy stuff on that!!
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    James, If it is possible I would suggest placing the bench 4 feet or more away from the wall. This gives you access on all four sides and allows you to wall mount your tools in either cabinets or some form of rack. My bench is 4 feet from the wall and I find having access on all sides greatly enhances my ability to work. It is particularly useful during assembly and/or finishing operations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I have a shelf over my bench against the wall. My bench is only 24" wide, and I find it very awkward to reach for things on the shelf. The shelf also gets in the way of assembly. I do not like it.

I'm with Dave. If I had the space, I'd put the bench a couple feet away from the wall.
    +1 on both of these.

From the pics it appears you will be mounted to the wall. My bench is out where I can work from all sides.

1.jpg

This meant my tools cabinet had to be behind or adjacent. I went with adjacent currently but, this could also go on the wall over your bench if that is your choice.

Plane Till evolution (1).jpgPlane Till evolution (2).jpg

The till has two "wings" that open up giving me 3 times the area that I would have otherwise.

Plane Till evolution (3).jpg

I am only using the till and one wing currently near the bench. the other wing is off to the right and keeps things like cordless tools, measuring/marking overflow and screwdriver overflow. I know a lot of people consider pegboard to be "the devil" but, I make my own fixtures and find that the versatility works out well when I change out or acquire tools.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-06-2015 at 7:23 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Since you have a power panel and a window on the right end of the bench, I think I would keep that area of the wall clear and unobstructed. That also addresses the need for unobstructed height, mentioned above. That leaves you with an abundance of wall space between the windows that can store great gobs of tools. Since you want it closed (I would too, in a garage), how about relatively shallow cabinets with relatively deep doors? My thought is that the doors (with heavy hinges) could hold things like your #8 in a way that the door carries the tool across the benchtop toward you. For what it is worth, my bench is 31" across and all my layout, marking and measuring tools are on the wall behind my bench. I love it that way. Of course, I'm 6'4" and have no issues with that reach. In any case, your bench area is huge. It's going to be interesting to see how you build out. It's a great space. Enjoy.

I will eventually have a more traditional bench running parallel to the wall mounted bench on the tool wall side and an additional assembly table opposite the service panel. Ive got an idea i need to sketch out that comes directly from y'alls ideas. Thanks, woody

PS. Keep the ideas coming though, I certainly don't everything figured out. Ever......
    Last edited by James W Glenn; 10-06-2015 at 7:49 PM.