Thread: A Trio This Week

A Trio This Week

I had the bug this week to create a few salad bowls; C&C's are welcomed!!!

The first bowl is 15"x3" and started with a piece of BLM burl with a couple of holes that I patched with epoxy/coffee grounds, I formed a couple of rim layers of scrap walnut and spalted maple pieces to add some character and make the bowl a bit higher.

530.jpg529.jpg

The second bowl is 15'x6" natural edge Oregon white oak with a little pyro'd eagle feather and some carving for accent.

533.jpg535.jpg
    The third bowl is a 16"x5.5" from a piece of BLM that had some soft spots that required some soaking in a 50/50 mixture of Elmer's/water and then rimmed with some nice claro walnut.

531.jpg532.jpg
    Last edited by mike ash; 10-04-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Very nice work on everything Mike! I really like the generous sizes of these bowls! First bowl is done well but there are so many different orientations of wood that it is a little busy for my taste. I do think that it would work great as a table centerpiece though. On the white oak bowl you did a nice job on the feather. The way the pyro stands out makes me think the entire rim being burnt would add to the overall look of white oak bowl. I also really like the way in the third bowl that the claro walnut highlights the BLM without competing for attention with the maple. The thin rim adds just enough color and contrast to enhance and is not thick enough to appear clunky. Very nice effect!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Really beautiful work! The first one is my favorite.

I like #2 the white oak bowl best. Can I ask what is the finish on it? Great job.

Red
    RED

All nice. I like the long oval bowl that will hold quite a bit but still fit on a shelf or not take up a lot of room on the table when being used.

Great stuff. I like the walnut rims on the lighter colored woods. I need to learn how to do that.

I've done a number of debarked natural edge bowls. I choose blackening the rim with India ink using a small artist bush to apply it. They all are keeper and it would be had to choose a winner! Thanks for sharing.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks for the comments folks.

My food-safe finish is the General Finishes Salad Bowl finish cut with a bit of mineral spirits and work it to work it in good then wipe it dry and let it sit for a day or so. I then rub good with 0000 steel wool with a mixture of bees wax and mineral oil (BeesOil by Lamson) and let it sit overnight before wiping it off with an old towel. I've been using this for a few years and have had good results.

Thanks, Mike

Thanks.

Red
    RED