Thread: Walked to an auction the other day..

Walked to an auction the other day..

Maybe 6-7 blocks each way, with a light rain.....yuck.

Had $7 in my pocket. Tried to bid on a very small ( almost block plane size) coffin smoother.....well, it shot right past my limit.....way too fast....Ok, plan B in effect..

waited through as they bid on all the collectiables, the firearms, and the power tools. Finallygot to the end of what was IN the garage part of the sale....$4 was a winner for "Choice" on four iron planes.....picked one, as is my luck, the WRONG plane. More on that in a bit..

Part of the outside sale didn't interest me....then they went to the LARGE power tools.....14" CM Bandsaw@ $25? Craftsman 10" tablesaw @$20? 40" lathe from HF @ $30? Combo sander center 48" and disc @ $15? REALLY? Then they mosied over to the soggy cardboard "Box Lots" laid out on the wet grass....Just missed a box of screwdrivers for$4 got my choice for $3 of the others laying there....

So...here we go. After the cold wet walk home carrying the box load of booty. Did some sorting out. Took the #4 sized plane to the Rehab Center. And here is the stuff from the box, at least the "good" stuff
    IMAG0276.jpg
    Sanding block and some square parts. the 12" steel ruler in back has Starret on it. No sign of the rest of the combo square..
    IMAG0277.jpg
    Couple of oak handles, large file and a very tiny file, drag link, brushes,drill bits, Hyde putty knife
    IMAG0279.jpg
    Two cutting discs, and the scribe tool from the MIA combo square.
    Rest of the box had a few tool for the van, and a lot of bolts and screws. They even used the pill bottle to hold a few
    IMAG0281.jpg
    Now, about that plane shaped object..
    IMAG0276.jpg
    Yep...a Capewell #4. Steel frog and all. Meant to grab the Stanley #3, but...
    Rehab Center took this in hand..sole
    IMAG0279.jpg
    was pretty flat. Got the rest cleaned up. Iron just needed a little work, back was flat, no pitting found anywhere, chipbreaker needed to most work to tune it up. Handles were cleaned up, flaky finish replaced with BLO, almost ready for a test drive..
    IMAG0284.jpg
    Even made decent shavings, too!
    IMAG0280.jpg
    Never even tried to take the frog off ( no need, anyway) the brass wheel is right hand threaded. Bolt it is on is a hair too long, could not remove the wheel. Wire wheeled it in place.

Well, that shot most of the day, and my $7 allowance...Have to wait a few weeks before the next allowance comes in the mail. Not too bad a haul?

Well, so far...I have found an old Swanson combo square's head to add to the Stanley ruler. One of the center finder bolts to make the connections..

The Starrett ruler is a "tempered" No. 0601 Has inch markings on both sides, no metric at all.. A Mr. R. Taylor has his name on both sides....some of the markings are a bit strange.....like being marked in Tenths???

trying to fit one of the Oak handles onto a file that needs a handle....will have to drill it a bit deeper..

The one center finder needs a very different bolt than what I have. Both of the ones I have are of the newer versions. Looks like it MIGHT match up with the old Stanley ruler?

That LONG drill bit only has flutes a quarter of the way along the shaft. Jobber bit?

Still cleaning things up, there was a LOT of stuff in the box lot....no wonder my arms ached at the end of the walk home....sheesh.

Hi Stephen,

All, or at least a lot, of the new very long bits you see only have flutes part way up the shank. Long bits tend not to be stiff as they should be, so the solid shank makes them less prone to wander and helps them drill a straight hole. At least that has been my experience, whether that is the manufacturers intent, I don't know.

Stew

Jobber bits are your standard length machine shop metal drills, those long bits I think are for door bell installers, among other uses. And I've forgotten the amusing name.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Selinger View Post
    Jobber bits are your standard length machine shop metal drills, those long bits I think are for door bell installers, among other uses. And I've forgotten the amusing name.
    I have heard them called bell hanger bits. The few in my accumulation have a small hole in the web. When I installed telephones, we would run a bit of the wire through the hole to aide in pulling wire through a wall.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    . When I installed telephones,
    jtk
    There's not much that you have missed is there Jim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    There's not much that you have missed is there Jim.
    When people have asked me where I have worked, my reply is often, "it would be easier to tell you where I haven't worked."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Was trying to make a new rear handle for a plane today.....could have used that long bit......drill press isn't quite tall enough, though. As it was, there was a blow-out, so the handle is now scrap wood.....FUBAR.

Om a brighter note: The long rasp just wasn't going to fit the one Oak handle......spotted a rusty H-F lathe chisel, in an old handle that was way too big. Chisel was a 1/2" gouge. Well....re-ground the tang until it fit into the Oak Handle, without splitting things apart(came close, though..whew) and then re-ground the edge profile a bit. Now have a 1/2" wide out channel gouge to chisel round bottomed grooves with.

Will have a couple pictures tomorrow.

had that Swanson combo square's head from where the keeper broke off two years ago. Found a new keeper in the box lot. The old Stanley steel ruler was a nice, tight fit. Keeper even works like new. Sooo, now I have a "new" combe square. The swanson was one of the cast metal ones they had for awhile....

In the pile of goodies, there is also a scriber. A SHARP pointed scriber. Thinking it could replace the junky swanson one....Might make thenew square even better? Still haven't been able to read the numbers on that tap......smaller than 1/8" diameter, too. Will need some better eyeballs than mine, though.

Looking like that $7 was well spent....

Hi Steven,

I would say you did better than "looking like that $7 was well spent....." To me it looks like after finding the fixes you did very well.

Stew

Pictures or it didn't happen, right?

IMAG0277.jpg
    well, here is the "new" carving gouge. Still haven't found out what size the tap is. The file in the back might be small enough to sharpen backsaw teeth. handle needs a ferrel
    IMAG0279.jpg
    need a slightly deep hole to stow the scriber in..
    IMAG0276.jpg
    And the Swanson Combo Square rebuild. Not sure what the brass washer was for..
    IMAG0280.jpg
    Used to be a lathe gouge, 1/2" wide. Now it is a carving gouge. New profile has been ground.

New chisel, and a repaired combo square....not too bad.

Ok, about the Brass washer thingy? There is also a counter sink to it, but no threads

Have drilled the Swanson a bit deeper to hold the scriber
    The tiny file is about 4" long
    The Large file i got from this box lot is an 8" Sandvik triangular file. Sandvik is stamped into the tang. File is also magnetized, for some reason..

The Starrett rule? The "inch" marks line right up with the Stanley's, however..there are several "odd" scales between the inch marks. like one set of 1/10"ths along one edge? Model number for the ruler is No.0601.

Thw Warner Sanding block takes 1/4 sheets of sandpaper....might come in handy. I used it to clean the Stanley ruler.

May drill the second Oak handle for a large rasp I already had on hand, a "Johnson" brand, 12" long, made in USA coarse rasp. A hair over 1" wide, too. Half-round rasp. Might come in handy, as well...