Thread: Applying finish over tearout

Applying finish over tearout

Please observe the following tearout in mahogany:

DSCN0600.JPG

I was unable to tame it despite the 112 and card scraper. Did not use my BU plane.

You are looking @ an in/out tray for my desk, before partitions are put in. Edge is already done. (What really happened was I forgot about tearout, then did the fancy edge routing.)

I am intent on applying a finish to this tomorrow. Planing some more is not possible cause it will effect the profiled routed edge.

Any ideas on something I can put on it tonite to fill in the small tearout? So I can spray with rc lacquer or Danish Oil tomorrow?

Maybe the West 105/207....let is set overnight, and scrape in the am?

As always, thanks
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

The West System will certainly work if you are doing a natural finish.

David it doent really look that bad, looks more like tear back.I say finish it you'll do better next time.👍

I have done this successfully. In one spot it darkened the wood (the wood was soft due to spalting), while it didn't do that in other areas. 12 hours isn't a full cure on epoxy; I do not know whether applying a finish directly over the epoxy before a full cure will prevent a full cure. That may not be an issue for you, but the folks at West are pretty helpful and may have a suggestion. I've also heard of folks brushing on a finish a little thicker in those types of spots.

Good luck.

More card scraper? It looks like you should be able to clean it up while staying away from the edges. From the description of what the piece is for, a slight hollow in that area doesn't sound like a problem.
    Dan

I've used CA gel glue in this situation - a bit easier to use than epoxy. But never an area this large.