Thread: Problem with white etchings from black material - tips?

Problem with white etchings from black material - tips?

I am having some issues etching a black-on-white acrylic material from Johnson Plastics - LZ901M, which is this material:

http://www.johnsonplastics.biz/detail/M37/1/1/LZ901M

It etches beautifully (removing the top layer of black and exposing the white underneath in the etchings), but there is a lot of black dust on on the sides/back of the material when cut out, and this easily gets into the white etchings and smudges/smears/stains on the white when touched.

I am curious if any of you have heard of this issue before, and how you got around it! I can etch any other color (red-on-white, green-on-white, blue-on-white, purple-on-white...) and the dust is not an issue. I'm not sure if it's the actual material I'm using (I have considered using their alternative "lasertuff" material, or an inverted color material where I will etch the black areas rather than the white) or the settings, or what... but it is a big problem since as soon as the user touches it they stain the etchings!

I've tried everything I can to fix the parts after the fact - putting them in an ultrasonic cleaner helps a little, but not that much...

Any tips would be really appreciated!

What machine Steve? what focal length? what air assist if any? what extraction?
    You did what !

Use Magic Eraser with a mild soap to wash dust from material.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

You can run a clean up pass at low power and high speed that will help. Do not rub the material before putting it in water.

Red that engraves white is the worst combination for this problem.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have done a lot of that stuff.You did not say, but I found that I have to turn off air-assist or I get that dust
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Steve,

To eliminate the issue you could try with applying transfer tape after etching on the sheet before cutting. It will protect sheet from smoke residue and will pull off dust when removing.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Steve,

To eliminate the issue you could try with applying transfer tape after etching on the sheet before cutting. It will protect sheet from smoke residue and will pull off dust when removing.

Oh yeah. I forgot. I also use transfer tape
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt