Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fein Brushless Drill

Cool Fein Brushless Drill

Absolutely SMOKING deal on the new Fein brushless drill over at Toolnut right now. I saw one of these when I was in Berlin last month and liked it so I ordered one today!

Will post a review of this once I receive it.
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 10-05-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks for the heads up Peter. Seems like it's too good to be true. I don't need a new cordless but my just pull the trigger myself, based on the deal. Would you mind giving a quick review once you get yours.

Reviews on Amazon complain about the clutch. Anyone have any personal experience with this? I ordered one and hope the drill is a good one. Could never justify Festool prices on a drill, but this one looks very comparable on paper.
    Last edited by Frank Martin; 10-05-2015 at 1:27 AM.

Thank you, Peter for heads up. Just ordered one for my son.

Ed.

They've also got this kit which looked like an ok deal considering it comes with a Systainer: https://www.toolnut.com/Makita_B_453..._p/b-45375.htm

Not sure where all the bits are from though...

Its a pretty decent drill for the price. Vastly inferior to Festool. Also has some big positives and negatives.

Positives:
    -High Quality German Made
    -Very high speed for cordless
    Negatives:
    -Very high price batteries $230 for 4ah - thats 2x Makita & Milwaukee. FWIW, that is 4x Festool 5.2ah battery.
    -Clutch is a sad joke compares to Festool awesome clutch.
    Personal Choice:
    -Uses 1/4" accessories directly on quick change chuck
    -Does not have Centrotec if you wan't to use that system that is mostly excellent

Its a lot of drill for the money with a few issues - If you want a cordless drill for Pocket Holes, this is it in the US. I prefer my Milwaukee corded 4000rpm but then if you are doing pocket holes on site........ Does anyone want yet another battery system?

This is competing with the Protool DRC, which is now the Festool DRC. That tool isn't available in the US as they only ship the PRC, which adds percussion mode. The Festool drills, T12-T18 & C12-C18, are much better for precision use particularly driving screws or with the right angle or offset chucks.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 10-05-2015 at 1:56 PM.

Thumbs up

Just received mine, some initial observations -

• Feels like the typical high build quality from Fein. Very solid.
    • Trigger action is amazingly smooth.
    • Drilling / driving speed switch is sorta awkward but not terrible, just takes some getting used to.
    • Top-end rpms feel more like a corded drill than cordless. Very impressive. Also very torque-y, even at higher rpms.
    • Fein box is not a Systainer
    • The magnetic 1/4" driver system is really nice but it does not work with Festool Centrotec system.

Think I have a new favorite drill. I like it enough that I just ordered a second one!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post

• Drilling / driving speed switch is sorta awkward but not terrible, just takes some getting used to.
    • Top-end rpms feel more like a corded drill than cordless. Very impressive. Also very torque-y, even at higher rpms.
    • The magnetic 1/4" driver system is really nice but it does not work with Festool Centrotec system.

Think I have a new favorite drill. I like it enough that I just ordered a second one!
    This sounds great. How about the clutch everyone seems to complain about?

When you posted this drill deal initially I gulped hard, because I'm at the point where I need to replace all my makita batteries for the home shop, been putting it off, literally just ordered a new Mac for drawing the night before so not in a spending mood....man I wanted to order this drill. So I did what any good tool junkie does in the face of such adversity....I told somebody else at work that also needs a new drill about it and HE ordered one! I get to live vicariously through his experience. glad to hear its a winner, hard to believe you get two 4AH batteries for less than $200 from anybody. Thanks for the heads up on this.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Hey I'm just about to buy a house up in the Catskills! Figured I need a second set of drills to leave up there

The clutch is a little weird as it's electronic and just beeps when a screw bottoms out instead of the normal mechanical ratcheting.

Overall, the drill's design idiosyncrasies will take some getting used to but nothing that major. Amazing for the price.

Hey I'm just about to buy a house up in the Catskills! Figured I need a second set of drills to leave up there

The clutch is a little weird as it's electronic and just beeps when a screw bottoms out instead of the normal mechanical ratcheting.

Overall, the drill's design idiosyncrasies will take some getting used to but nothing that major. Amazing for the price.
    Great to hear that the issue with the clutch is not a fatal flaw. Mine should arrive next Saturday, sounds like I will be happy with it.

I'm sorry to ask a silly question but is this a drill or impact driver or a combo of both.

Drill only, no impact.

I received mine and tried it several times to drive screws and could not get the clutch to work even when I was driving screws into a maple board. It certainly has lots of power, but seemingly no clutch? What am I doing wrong?

See post #10, the clutch is electronic not mechanical.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening