Thread: Tip O' The Day from the Village Idiot........shims

Tip O' The Day from the Village Idiot........shims

I am always buying or making shims to level out cabinets, etc., so here is another cheap, dirt simple tip that works for me.

I removed a vertical hanging blind from a sliding patio door, and decided to save it so I could cut it down to about 3' high and see if it would work on a shop window. While cutting it, the light dawned that this stuff would make great shims. it is 3" wide, About 1/16" thick, and you can cut it with good scissors. The plastic is almost indestructible, and hard enough, yet slightly pliable. I made some into various sized shims and they work great. I also am keeping some larger chunks of it for any other uses I might think of for it.

I see them in dumpsters all the time, so the price is right.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Good idea Rick. Thanks!

Seems like a good idea. I use business cards for thin shims and up against stops to slowly nibble up to the right dimension. This kind of material might work for that too. A lot of time I cut shims to the size I need when in the shop. I don't clean up much so there is typically lots of little pieces available underfoot.

Scraps of high pressure laminate make great shims as well.

5. I recently needed a long and fat shim to place under and level the threshold of a replacement door. So, I went to the blue box store and got a table saw and some PT lumber. I rounded up some other hardware and wood scraps to make a taper jig and then used the TS to slice some beautiful shims from the PT lumber.

I ended up with two each 1-1/2" wide shims that worked perfectly and cost ~$250 each. The saw ended up being free.

Table Saw, Taper Jig, and Door Shim.jpg

I do like the shade concept...

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
    Last edited by James Goodnight; 10-05-2015 at 2:46 PM.

Credit card plastic tends to be dead-nuts on at 1/32".
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Great idea, if it isn't official, I think I can give you a run for your money on that "Village Idiot" title.

Quote Originally Posted by James Goodnight View Post
    I recently needed a long and fat shim to place under and level the threshold of a replacement door. So, I went to the blue box store and got a table saw and some PT lumber. I rounded up some other hardware and wood scraps to make a taper jig and then used the TS to slice some beautiful shims from the PT lumber.

I ended up with two each 1-1/2" wide shims that worked perfectly and cost ~$250 each. The saw ended up being free.

Table Saw, Taper Jig, and Door Shim.jpg

I do like the shade concept...

Regards,
    Jim / crewzer
    No job is worth doing unless you get to buy new tools to do it with.

I frequently use shims also. When I was travelling a lot I'd keep the credit card sized room keys. I've probably got 100 of them. They make great thicker shims. For thinner shims I took a deck of playing cards and use them.

One other tip about using blinds. When I took down some roller blinds I unrolled them and cut off both ends. I use these on my workbench to protect the bench from glue and paint squeeze out.
    Wood'N'Scout

I also use playing cards. Interesting that playing cards are a controlled .010 thick. They need to have the right 'feel' for the players and to prevent cheating by a different touch to certain cards.
    Last edited by william watts; 10-08-2015 at 12:13 AM.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

I use playing cards also - love the constant .010" - just save up the aces for the big game!

Blog Entries
    For thin shim stock, you can beat an aluminum pop or adult beverage can. You can also cut it with scissors.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute