Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I mention I hate...

Did I mention I hate...

p-l-u-m-b-i-n-g ?

Nothing in the world is as bad as plumbing.
    I'd rather gargle ground glass that do plumbing.
    Matter of fact, water itself is just plain miserable. It costs a fortune to keep it out of a house, and it costs a fortune to let it in the house.
    Getting it out of parts of the house where it doesn't belong is the most costly of all & the most futile!

My wife pointed out to me yesterday, after I'd flushed the toilet int he bathroom just above where she was working in the basement that - - "we have a leak"..

Nice....

Oh well, @ least it wasn't MY head that was under the leak ....<<<Please dear sweet God don't let my wife read that!!!
    (I knew/know far better than to point that out to her!)

What's so discouraging about this is that the toilet/bathroom is one part of this rehab that we'd already checked off as complete. Now we have to repull the toilet and probably put in a new flange.

I so hate plumbing.......
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I am with you on it.

Ed.

I'm just winding up a similar deal and had no previous experience ...fortunately. Flange was ok but in googling to get through all this I noticed that these days the bolts seldom go through the floor and so stress is on flange itself. Bought extra long bolts so they now go through the floor. Using the new seal gasket made of plastic,hearing they work well. Good luck to all involved in such a project!

Blog Entries
    I just mentally prepare myself that I will go to the store at least 4 times for ANY plumbing project. Hate it, hate it, hate it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Craigslist man, Craigslist

Plumbing is EASY! Hot on the left, cold on the right, sewer flows downhill, boss man is a Sweet Old Babe, pay day is Friday, and most important, don't bite your finger nails after working in the sewer. It may smell like poop to you, but it smells like bread and butter to me. The look on a helpers face when he lifts WC and puts his hand into old wax ring-PRICELESS! Usually says what he thinks he has put his hand into.

Rich - that is why God invented plumbers. There are some tasks where DIY is the expensive route.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Ha ha! This one has a happy ending! I didn't even l have to lift my dialing finger .
    My wife called the plumber and he and his helper came right over - she caught him just winding up a job about a mile away.
    They came, pulled the toilet, told us we needed one of those new fangled plastic - not wax - rings, which the plumber's helper and my wife ran out and picked up, then they put it in and flushed, flushed, flushed and flushed.

Meanwhile, I stayed int he kitchen and worked on the cabinets!

Best plumbing job I've done in years! .
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

A man's got to know his limitations.............

Your wife has it covered. Good news - delegate all plumbing sh... uhh... stuff to her in the future.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    LOML gave me a get out of plumbing free card.

Did I mention that I love my wife?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

As I have aged, I am fortunate to be able to pick some tasks that are heretofore labeled "Point and Pay". The first two were plumbing and drywall. Always hated them both.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I wish I could get me one of those "Get out of plumbing" cards but I made the mistake of replacing every bit of plumbing in our house 18 years ago all on my own. Not a chance that I can call in a professional now.

Drywall on the other hand, the wife doesn't consider me the least bit competent in that arena

Rich,

1. What is a new-fangled plastic seal?
    2. Do you need to fix the ceiling?
    3. Hope your wife doesn't visit the Creek.
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 10-06-2015 at 7:26 AM.

Rich,
    Sani Seal is the new fangled plastic gasket.
    My plumber swears by them. He won't use anything else anymore.
    They run about $12 - but - according to him they are worth ten times that.

That seal is the one I referred to. Most plumbers who will try them like them. One definate advantage is they are reusable ,so a non Olympic quality toilet lift and set can still win seal of approval .