Thread: Hand Polishing Stainless Steel after Cermark

Hand Polishing Stainless Steel after Cermark

Hi,
    I'm looking for some advise on a Cermark project.

I've got 10 sheets of polished stainless plate that I'm using Cermark to engrave some floorplans. Unfortunately in cleaning off the cermark, I've scratched the mirror finish and need to figure out how to polish them out. The scratches are very light, but very obvious with the mirror finish.

I've tried polishing compound, but it's too course. Tried Novus #2 plastic polish, but it's not strong enough. Don't have a buffing wheel, but scared to try it even if I did.

Can anyone suggest a hand polishing compound or technique that might work to bring back the mirror finish without affecting the Cermark image?

Thanks.
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clumpner View Post
    Hi,
    I'm looking for some advise on a Cermark project.

I've got 10 sheets of polished stainless plate that I'm using Cermark to engrave some floorplans. Unfortunately in cleaning off the cermark, I've scratched the mirror finish and need to figure out how to polish them out. The scratches are very light, but very obvious with the mirror finish.

I've tried polishing compound, but it's too course. Tried Novus #2 plastic polish, but it's not strong enough. Don't have a buffing wheel, but scared to try it even if I did.

Can anyone suggest a hand polishing compound or technique that might work to bring back the mirror finish without affecting the Cermark image?

Thanks.

That's the issue with polished stainless we encounter as well. Everything we have tried scratches the surface further, a Buffing wheel might introduce a lot of mini scratches giving the effect of a consistent surface, in essence hiding your scratches but it will not itself remove the scratch. Interested to hear what others have used to fix this on polished stainless.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

I got nothing, I'm afraid. You must treat polished SS with more care than butterfly wings...
    I've been engraving mirror finished switchplates for years, and if there's even the teensy-est scratch (regardless of its origin) they throw it out and I do another one.

That all said-- do you know any knife-makers? If anyone knows how to polish stainless, they do!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Damn....

Guess I'll give Novus #3 a try and see if I get anywhere... Looks like I'll need to go back to the customer and figure this out.. The only saving grace is that they are meant to be mounted outside, and they expect them to oxidize, so it may not matter...

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I got nothing, I'm afraid. You must treat polished SS with more care than butterfly wings...
    I've been engraving mirror finished switchplates for years, and if there's even the teensy-est scratch (regardless of its origin) they throw it out and I do another one.

That all said-- do you know any knife-makers? If anyone knows how to polish stainless, they do!
    Bruce Clumpner
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

It's going to take buffing and a rouge. Novus isn't going to cut it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Nope, I'm afraid it'll take a little more than Novus!

Today one of my new knife customers came back with a knife I did Friday-- He had me spell "Laurie" wrong...

This is my evidence that a 40w C02 laser beam hitting a cermark-coated ss knife blade will actually 'engrave' the metal!

He was miles from his power equipment when he found out (grandaughter I think) so he spent a couple of hours with some rouge, sandpaper and his fingers attempting to remove the name...
    As you can see, the name is still quite visible, and so are the first grit's sanding marks, which doesn't bode well for this discussion I'm afraid!
    (although his normal tools would have done a much better job!)

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I have run into the situation where i have to remove Cermark which for one reason or another wouldn't pass inspection. I use a fine grit sandpaper (which scratches the the item) Scotch bright abrasives and emery cloth. I have been able to restore the gloss so that what I did isn't noticeable----but I am working with an area of less than 2 square inches.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Just showed the client the plates and we're OK! Whew! The signs will be mounted outside and must be legible from 5-feet away, so at that distance nothing shows but the marking.

Thanks everyone for your input!

On thing that came out of this is I found a cheap source for Novus Polish! Can you believe The Container Store? 8oz. #1@$3.99, #2@5.99 & #3@ $6.99 Way cheaper than my acrylic supplier...
    Bruce Clumpner
    Irvine, CA
    -
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

The other thing that we don't tend to think of, is that even though we use a very fine polishing medium, usually we don't use anywhere near good enough quality 'rags'.

The rag sometimes does more damage itself,,,
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

The best you can do is to get the fine scratches running all the same way. I have had some success with diamond grit paste on a polishing mop. but the same still applies. I have a friend who works in the stainless steel fabricating industry and they use a diminishing series of carborundum grit and wax to achieve a mirror finish. The amount of wax in the final finish is the reason it is sometimes difficult to get cermark to adhere properly.
    Hilton Lister. NZ
    GCC Spirit 60w. Meistergram 912, Gravograph IT, Old Roland Vinyl Cutter, Hand engraving, Retired