Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trimming a Piece of Drywall

+n on the utility knife.

Also, if you have any ragged edges, you can always use a (gasp alert) beater 4-1 rasp/file to smooth out the edges of the paper and rock.

I'm sure its code. Why else would anyone want to wrestle 5/8 on a ceiling?

I think 5/8 is fire code I've seen it used between garage and house.
    Never seen is used on ceilings in my area.
    I've also seen it used for soundproofing.

I believe 5/8 is used on ceilings when the trusses are on 24" centers to prevent sag. My trusses are on 24" centers.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Other areas may be different, but here at least UBC (code) calls for 5/8" gypsum between any living areas and attached garage (due to higher fire risk in the garage). If there was no living area above the garage, you could previously use 1/2" on ceiling or non-adjoining walls. The adjoining wall(s) was(were) often covered with double layer of 1/2" (to save ordering 2 different types of drywall).

Now it is uniform 5/8" on all garage surfaces (plus fire rated door to a living area). Joist spacing makes no difference.

George, this may be a non-issue, but consider how any potential (non-code?) replacement will be viewed by home inspector if you have re-sale plans. A piece of drywall might not be a deal-breaker, but it would be a PITA.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 10-06-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: clarity

My entire house is 5/8" It is a tract house, with no code or construction reason to have it. One of these days I am going to ask neighbors who have worked on their house if theirs is the same. I would not be surprised if 5/8 was
    sent to the site by mistake, and they used it.

I suppose it could have been a selling feature.......quiet rooms, more strength, etc. It has been a pain replacing doors inside. We ordered pre-hung doors for 5/8 drywall, but they all came with jambs that had to be made wider anyway, and we had to set them to one side flush and add to the jambs on the other. We have continued using it in the remodel and additions, including the shop.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    My entire house is 5/8" ...
    But you're in CA. Land of rock n' roll. And I mean 'land', not music. Could it be earthquake zone code?? 5/8" will give slightly better racking resistance to walls.

Me? I like my TX dirt to stay where I put it.

I dunno...1/2" on my walls and 5/8" on my ceilings here in rockin' Bay Area.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

All this for trimming a piece of drywall? ...screws could result in explosion? Mud & tape could actually melt the internet.

1/2" drywall is not rated for fire, each sheet of 5/8" gives a 30 minute rating, assuming the assembly is installed properly.

I just gotta say:

"Trimming a Piece of Drywall" got 30 responses (well, 31 now) and 500 views.

What
    is
    the
    world
    coming
    to??!?!?!?!

5/8" GWB is used for 24" C/C spans and 1 hour fire separations. 1/2" for 16" C/C spans.

Use a Surfoam plane for cleaning up GWB edges. There is a one handed version about the size of a block plane. Handy, cheap tool to have around.