Thread: 12" Rip blade

12" Rip blade

I finally got my PM 70 up and running but now I need to get a blade for it. Right now the plan is to use it for ripping and my PM 66 on the right to crosscut, so I want a dedicated rip blade. I use a fair amount of sheet goods so I want to be able to get a nice cut on that for sure. Anybody have suggestions on brands? I've heard some good things about carbide processors as well as forrest.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I use Felder "Silent Power" blades - I use their plywood blade for plywood and I'm pleased with it - I use a scoring blade (not a Zero Clearance Insert), so I can't speak to the quality of the exit cut. I'm not sure if their arbor hole pattern will fit your PM 70.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Yeah, I keep procrastinating buying a slider w/ scoring..... but one of these days.

for plywood you'll want a decimated blade designed for it. if your going to be ripping solid woods you'll want a blade for that as well. these blades are totally different in design so don't do both. carbide processors make both are they're pretty good. they also sell tenyru and one or two others. ridge carbide are pretty nice also. the felders silent power work well to, but they my not fit your arbor. no experience with forrest blades but lots of people around here seem to like them.

Freud Rip blade for the solid stuff, (Industrial not Diablo), very nice blade for the money. They also make good blades for your sheet goods and crosscut. Forrest are a little better IMHO but they've gotten pretty pricey over the years.

good luck,
    Jeffd

I have a Freud 12" glue line rip blade on my Powermatic 71 and I am quite pleased with it. I put a spacer on the arbor of my 71 before I put the blade on due to the blade being so close to the edge of the blade hole in the table. I think your 70 is a simular design to my 71.

When I first got my 71 all I had was a cheap old 12" Dewalt chop saw blade. It made it about half way through a test cut before it heated up so much the blade warped like crazy.

Hi Jesse, I have an FS Tools rip blade, works great...............Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schuch View Post
    I have a Freud 12" glue line rip blade on my Powermatic 71 and I am quite pleased with it. I put a spacer on the arbor of my 71 before I put the blade on due to the blade being so close to the edge of the blade hole in the table. I think your 70 is a simular design to my 71.
    Yeah, I know what you mean... I'll keep that in mind. Like I said I do a lot of sheet goods, but occasionally rip a bunch of face frame stock, so I'll probably get a different blade for that. Rod, I'm assuming FS=Forrest? The more I work on my setup the more I'm thinking I should have gone the slider route.... but they don't have the charm of OWWM as my Powermatics

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean... I'll keep that in mind. Like I said I do a lot of sheet goods, but occasionally rip a bunch of face frame stock, so I'll probably get a different blade for that. Rod, I'm assuming FS=Forrest? The more I work on my setup the more I'm thinking I should have gone the slider route.... but they don't have the charm of OWWM as my Powermatics
    Hi, no FS means FS Tools......................regards, Rod.

Our Tenryu is very good. Popular Tools is also good but is typically sold to industrial customers so does not have a big reputation here.

We think our World's Best Blades really are. We went to some of the finest shops and told them we wanted the very best blades they could make.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.