Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vfd help need, cheap chinese vfd off ebay

If you cannot resolve this and need a low cost alternative, you might consider setting up a rotary converter - the main cost would be an extra 3 phase motor at least the size of the motor you need to run. Kent B is trying give a 3/4 horse away in the classifieds right now. I've rarely paid more than $50 for a used 3 phase motor.

Hello Cody
    Have the same vfd ......Its taken apart at the moment
    this video is about the best info if setting the huanyang up ....youtube search

HUANYANG 4.0KW INVERTER VFD HOW TO SETUP AND WIRE SINGLE PHASE 220V BRIDGEPORT MILL PHASE CONVERTER

I had mine on a 24" bandsaw which definatly needs a new tire
    could only run the saw about max 30hz though because of this problem (fitted a pot)
    Wasn't sure if i needed a new blade or a new tire so saved up for a new blade first.
    So their was less blade vibration with new blade so i test cut one 3" thick chunk of wood
    Larger test piece than before ....cut wood knocked off switch
    Went to turn saw on again and saw a LV error code on screen .
    Theirs another video of a huanyang teardown on utube where a guy gets this error code after fixing another problem fixes this problem too.
    this is the 5hp model though and i dont see the same input failure as is the traces burnt and peeled off the board on the vid

A fools advice from someone who's not got a warrenty anymore if this existed.... not when it takes you an age to figure how to wire 3 wire controls up
    (Start and stop switches)
    and the other work your also probably doing to the machine.
    At least give it a shake before wiring up their could be a screw or something .
    I'd love to hear some more about this as i dont have the cash for a fancy one
    Good luck
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 10-06-2015 at 5:04 PM.

If I can't get these vfds running I may return them and try another route. Speaking of another route, i just bought a static converter for 10$! When I went to pickup a metal bandsaw for 35$ the static converter is 3-5hp would it hurt anything to run my 2hp RAS on it? How it 3/4 hp drill press? If I can run tell RAS on static, i think I'll return the cheap vfds and buy a name brand one for drill press if it can't be run off static converter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cody michael; 10-06-2015 at 6:13 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln0UW8RJVSI

Cody, you might take a look at this linked video. In the unit he is configuring, there are more parameters than those on the pages you copied to me. He references several parameters that look to me like they are required to be set to something besides 'default'. He also goes thru a couple of calculations needed to set them.

Is there a switch between the VFD and machine?

I called the company and they said to try it, it may work on the 2hp ras. so I will see how it goes.

i tried thestatic converter on the drill press and it fired right up

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    If I can't get these vfds running I may return them and try another route. Speaking of another route, i just bought a static converter for 10$! When I went to pickup a metal bandsaw for 35$ the static converter is 3-5hp would it hurt anything to run my 2hp RAS on it? How it 3/4 hp drill press? If I can run tell RAS on static, i think I'll return the cheap vfds and buy a name brand one for drill press if it can't be run off static converter
    A static converter will cost you at least 1/3 of your HP. However, I think there's a way to turn a static converter into a rotary, using a cheap dummy motor. Personally, I wouldn't bother as VFD's offer so many beneficial features.

The Australian WW forums have a dedicated section for the Huanyang VFD. The manuals are known to vary between copies quite a lot but we never had any issues with the ones we used which are still in service after some years.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening