Thread: Live Edge Walnut Bowl

Live Edge Walnut Bowl

After several failed attempts, I was finally able to turn my first live-edged bowl in which I was able to keep the bark on. Would appreciate a critique from anyone willing to look...

Specs:
    • Wood: Walnut
    • Dimensions: 7" wide x 3.5" tall
    • Finish: 3 coats of Antique oil, followed by buffing & Renaissance Wax

Pics:
    20151006_071604.jpg20151006_071551.jpg20151006_071529.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Jeff, it looks like you achieved a smooth transition in the bottom, and did an excellent job of sanding and finishing. It is a little difficult to tell, but it appears the edge is fairly uniform in thickness, sometimes a difficult thing to do early on. The thickness might be a little heavy for some, but not others. From what I see, the curve looks consistent, but a more head on pic would be helpful. Good grain alignment.

Good work!

I second John's comments. Yours looks much better than any of that form that I have made. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

I'm far too much of a beginner to be offering critique, but it looks beautiful to me!

I agree with John's comments - very nice work. I think you did a really good job on getting the grain aligned - one of those things that are very noticeable because the wings are the same height and the grain pattern viewed at bottom of the bowl is centered. Not a big deal but was wondering how you finished the foot area? Did you turn a slight recess, add a bead to the foot or anything? I only ask because you can't see anything in the photos.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

6. I also agree with John's assessments. You did a good job on the shape and curve. I would also like to see the way you finished off the bottom. It is a bit thick for my tastes, as I think a thickness of about 1/4" would be ideal for this form. Nice job on the bark staying on and getting the grain centered.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks for all the feedback gents... greatly appreciated! As much as I enjoy my wife telling me something looks great, it's alot more helpful having 'critical' eyes .
    In response to a couple of questions...

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Jeff, it looks like you achieved a smooth transition in the bottom, and did an excellent job of sanding and finishing. It is a little difficult to tell, but it appears the edge is fairly uniform in thickness, sometimes a difficult thing to do early on. The thickness might be a little heavy for some, but not others. From what I see, the curve looks consistent, but a more head on pic would be helpful. Good grain alignment. Good work!
    Thank you John. I struggled some with how to shape the curve, and also think it might have benefited from a bit more lift at the bottom. Here's a head-on picture:
    20151006_125823.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    I agree with John's comments - very nice work. I think you did a really good job on getting the grain aligned - one of those things that are very noticeable because the wings are the same height and the grain pattern viewed at bottom of the bowl is centered. Not a big deal but was wondering how you finished the foot area? Did you turn a slight recess, add a bead to the foot or anything? I only ask because you can't see anything in the photos.
    Thanks, Steve! For the foot area, I did have a slight recess that I used for attaching to the chuck. It's pretty basic, but here it is:
    20151006_125632.jpg20151006_125625.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I also agree with John's assessments. You did a good job on the shape and curve. I would also like to see the way you finished off the bottom. It is a bit thick for my tastes, as I think a thickness of about 1/4" would be ideal for this form. Nice job on the bark staying on and getting the grain centered.
    Thanks Roger. Re: the thickness, point taken. Honestly, I have to agree with you (It's right around 7/16" thick as it stands). My fear was that going any thinner I'd pop the bark off, which is what happened on my previous 2 attempts, and I really didn't want that to happen. You've uncovered the limits of my skill .
    Last edited by Jeff Grantham; 10-06-2015 at 3:30 PM.

I'm with Aaron, I don't know enough to critique beyond I think it is beautiful. I love the color.
    USMC '97-'01

My critique....beautiful!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Grantham View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback gents... greatly appreciated! As much as I enjoy my wife telling me something looks great, it's alot more helpful having 'critical' eyes .
    In response to a couple of questions...

Thank you John. I struggled some with how to shape the curve, and also think it might have benefited from a bit more lift at the bottom. Here's a head-on picture:
    20151006_125823.jpg

Thanks, Steve! For the foot area, I did have a slight recess that I used for attaching to the chuck. It's pretty basic, but here it is:
    20151006_125632.jpg20151006_125625.jpg

Thanks Roger. Re: the thickness, point taken. Honestly, I have to agree with you (It's right around 7/16" thick as it stands). My fear was that going any thinner I'd pop the bark off, which is what happened on my previous 2 attempts, and I really didn't want that to happen. You've uncovered the limits of my skill .
    What I do is use CA glue on the bark as I go, and have it applied before I make the final cuts......it really helps to keep it on when you soak the cambium layer.

Nice job Jeff. I agree with John om his assessment, form looks good and edge is nice and you got it centered. Well Done.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

What I do is use CA glue on the bark as I go, and have it applied before I make the final cuts......it really helps to keep it on when you soak the cambium layer.
    You don't have troubles with the CA staining the wood or bark, and/or showing up in your finish?

13. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Grantham View Post
    You don't have troubles with the CA staining the wood or bark, and/or showing up in your finish?
    I usually spray a little shellac on the area just beneath the bark, and am careful when I apply it, and use a very small applicator tip on the glue bottle. The CA does darken the bark a little, but not an issue.

Jeff,
    It's no small feat to keep all the bark on a natural Edge bowl as you have done. I agree with all the others as it is very well turned, and the finish seems very smooth too. Well Done.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I usually spray a little shellac on the area just beneath the bark, and am careful when I apply it, and use a very small applicator tip on the glue bottle. The CA does darken the bark a little, but not an issue.
    Thanks for the tip, I'm going to have to try that!

And to everyone else who's commented - thanks for all of the positive feedback!!!