Thread: Bluetooth adapters?

Bluetooth adapters?

I am deaf and hear via a cochlear implant in one ear and a hearing aid in the other. This might sound unusual but the better acoustic environment I am in, the better I hear. While visiting a BIL in a Denver suburb, he got me to try some wireless headphones that worked well and allowed me to hear television audio much better. These wireless headphones used a proprietary RF system. The thought of having to move a proprietary RF transmitter/recharging station around is viable but those headphones wouldn't work with my cell phone on which I have some favorite music stored. My Samsung Galaxy cellphone does have Bluetooth capability but my shop stereo and may home stereo don't. I would rather not buy new stereos just so I can use a Bluetooth wireless headphone.

Are there Bluetooth adapters available to use with existing stereos and Bluetooth headphones.

I have some Bose QC-15 wired headphones that I can use for my cellphone but in the shop, the cable becomes a problem.

Suggestions.....recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken-- not quite what you're asking about (not bluetooth), but I bought these for my wife and she loves them. She in turn bought a pair for her mother who also loves them. I love them because I can once again sit in the living room when the tv is on. Unlike other "TV ears" they use radio and work well from anywhere in the house. You'd need to plug the base station into your cell phone with a mini stereo connector. Probably not secure enough on your head for the shop, but my wife reports they are quite comfortable. I haven't looked to see if Sennheiser makes them in other formats; for what its worth the sound quality is very good, not up with my wired headphones but surprisingly good for wireless.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Roger, thanks for the recommendation.

They wouldn't work for me as the microphone for my CI sound processor is located near the ear opening and my hearing aid hangs over the other ear. I will require an over the ear wireless headphone. Thanks for the Sennheiser recommendation as over the ear Sennheiser wireless headphones are one of the brands I am investigating.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yes they make Bluetooth transmitters. I have this one on the TV in my shop (http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_i...seq=1&format=2) so I can use my headphones when any machinery or electric hand tools are running. It plugs into a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. One thing to look out for if you want to use your headphones with multiple devices without repairing them each time is to make sure they are multipoint.

I don't know if they will work for you, but I use bone conduction headphones. Instead of going through your ear canal, the vibrations transmit through the cheekbones to the cochlea. The ones I use aren't multipoint. (Aftershokz Bluez 2) They are making a new model that is currently available for pre-order that is multipoint (Trekz Titanium).

Jay

Blog Entries
    Ken,
    I am not sure what you are asking about, but on the off chance that this might work for you, I got this a few months ago so that I could stream my music from my iphone to the stereo receiver in the shop via bluetooth. I can now listen to all the music stored on my phone as well as Pandora with my phone still in my pocket. This allows your old stereo to have bluetooth receiving capability, not transmiting. I don't know if this is what you are wanting or not, but here is the link. This unit works really well for what it does, and is reasonably priced.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s00
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 10-06-2015 at 5:43 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I use the Sennheiser owner the ear headphones in my shop and very happy with them.

Blog Entries
    Ken,
    The device I have is called a bluetooth receiver, which, after re-reading your post, I think is not what you are looking for. I believe you may be wanting a bluetooth transmitter. Here is a link to one of those. It connects to the output of your stereo or whatever device used to product sound and transmits that to your headphones. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PI62YVO?keywords=bluetooth%20transmitter&psc=1& qid=1444234811&ref_=sr_1_26&s=electronics&sr=1-26-spons

I have no experience with this type of device, but I would think it would work fine.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 10-07-2015 at 12:34 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ken, this is one of the ones that I use : http://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Streambot...nsmitter+audio I do use another one but I can't remember the brand. If this is the type device you're searching for, I'll find out the specifics on the other one. The only difference is that, for this one, I have to re-pair it every time I use it whereas the other one seems to stay paired and when I turn on the two devices (the transmitter and the headphones) in the right order they're automatically connected.

Another thing to consider is the headphones. It's more convenient if they will receive two Bluetooth signals simultaneously so you can pair with your phone and you can hear the ring and talk even while connected to your stereo (the stereo signal will go silent while you're on your phone).

Larry I used to use Sennheiser over-the-ear headphones in the shop but couldn't hear the phone when it rang. Now I use Bluetooth with Sony MDR-10RBT headphones and can hear the stereo (or TV, or whatever) and hear the phone ring and answer it right through the headphones.