Thread: How on earth did they do this? Martini Glass Cat Condo

How on earth did they do this? Martini Glass Cat Condo

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how they built the cone of the glass.

The base and stem could be a standard table stand. The cone though... a friend suggested 1" MDF cut concentrically with a .45" angle and stacked. I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Site where product is from - http://www.hollywoodkittyco.com/martini-condo.html
    Last edited by Kevin Schlossberg; 10-06-2015 at 11:23 PM.

I'd cut tapered and beveled staves and glue them together. I'd probably use a birdsmouth on one edge of each stave to make assembly easier.

I've made conical shapes using bending plywood, and also by using a CNC router to make radial kerfs in veneered panels to attach to a conical frame.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Are you certain that it is wood? I'd think a blow-molded plastic would be cheap/easy for a company to produce.
    "It's Not About You."

glass.jpg
    Cut out a disc the size of the top of the cone (large side) and a disc the size of the bottom of the cone (small side).

Attach the discs with a length of pole how tall you want the cone.

Using the indexed marks as starting points, trace the shape created as the device is rolled one revolution.
    glass1.jpg
    It'll trace out a shape something like the above.

Cut that out and attach the edges together and you have a cone.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    glass.jpg
    Cut out a disc the size of the top of the cone (large side) and a disc the size of the bottom of the cone (small side).

Attach the discs with a length of pole how tall you want the cone.

Using the indexed marks as starting points, trace the shape created as the device is rolled one revolution.
    glass1.jpg
    It'll trace out a shape something like the above.

Cut that out and attach the edges together and you have a cone.
    Yeah but looking at the entrance on the side it looks around .5 to 1" thick before covered in carpet. I'm not sure what material they'd use for that

The opening could simply be reinforced with 1x material attached around it. Just a guess.

I was just providing a simple example how a cone can be created. I actually used this trick to make dust collection reduction fittings in sheet metal.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Looking at the video they have on their website, it looks around .5" to 1" thick throughout with the carpet on, which has me wondering what they used structurally. I'm not sure if they bent luan or cut MDF staves or something else altogether.

I've looked at a sheet metal cone template generator and put in dimensions for assembly but I'm not sure about getting something that big fabricated

It certainly could be done with bending ply, but I'll bet it's some sort of cardboard/paper product, with the carpet glued on. Why don't you buy one and cut it apart and report back?

They could just mold MDF into the shape they wanted. Most likely it is molded something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    It certainly could be done with bending ply, but I'll bet it's some sort of cardboard/paper product, with the carpet glued on. Why don't you buy one and cut it apart and report back?
    That would be a pretty good guess IMO. We have a scratching post that needed the scratching surface replaced. It was thick cardboard-like material. Narrow crown staples through sisal rope has worked nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    That would be a pretty good guess IMO. We have a scratching post that needed the scratching surface replaced. The post was thick cardboard-like material. Narrow crown staples through sisal rope has held nicely for a couple months so far.

13. They real question is....why on earth did they do that? Is this for the alcoholic cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Vanden Bosch View Post
    They real question is....why on earth did they do that? Is this for the alcoholic cat?

Maybe it's intended for Hollywood kitties?. Our crew would likely prefer the box it came in.