Thread: Pocket Hole Screw Hole Plugs

Pocket Hole Screw Hole Plugs

I may be using some pocket hole screw plugs on a project I am just starting. The holes will not actually be seen but I would like to plug them anyway. How have you trimmed them down? I tried using some a while back and had none heck of a time getting them flush to the surface. I tried a block plane and sanding.

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

LV Veritas makes/sells a flush cut hand saw for about $25 that does a great job. It has teeth on both edges that are flush to one face so you can use it left or right. The handle even has a "this side out" label. I use it for trimming thru tenons, Dominos, plugs, etc.

I've found that a random orbit sander knocks them down pretty quickly, there's not a whole lot of material to remove.

A fein multi-tool could flush those plugs followed by some light sanding I would think.

I tried all the above and found the best thing to use is - - drywall mud or water putty...
    Fill the hole, sand it smooth and color it with stain so it doesn't stand out too bad.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Harbor Freight sells a pretty decent Japanese-made flush cut saw for <$10. At least in the ones around here. Takes a bit of looking to find them.

Pare down with a sharp crank neck chisel or block plane, finish sand (usually ROS)
    Some with flush saw but usually managed to bark up something else requiring more than normal sanding

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I tried all the above and found the best thing to use is - - drywall mud or water putty...
    Fill the hole, sand it smooth and color it with stain so it doesn't stand out too bad.
    I've went to the same on my limited attempt to fill the holes.
    Wood filler, sand, paint.

Why didn't the block plane work? That would have been my weapon of choice.

If no one will see them, then use a multitool. Unless you are extremely careful, it will beat up the surface some, but if no on will see it...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    LV Veritas makes/sells a flush cut hand saw for about $25 that does a great job. It has teeth on both edges that are flush to one face so you can use it left or right. The handle even has a "this side out" label.
    That's what I do.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I may be using some pocket hole screw plugs on a project I am just starting. The holes will not actually be seen but I would like to plug them anyway. How have you trimmed them down? I tried using some a while back and had none heck of a time getting them flush to the surface. I tried a block plane and sanding.

Thanks
    If you're talking about something like the Kreg pocket screw system, I don't actually trim plugs down after installation. I use their 3/8" stepped drill bit to make the holes, so use 3/8" dowel to plug the holes. I make the plugs by drilling like fifty holes in a thick piece of wood, then fill the holes with dowel. I sand the block down so that all dowels are flush with the surface of the wood. I'll then stain the top surface of the plugs or finish it however is needed, then resaw a 5/16" or so sheet from the block. This makes fifty plugs at a time. I'll put a little glue in the hole with a cut off q tip, then press the plug in with a putty knife and maybe a tap from leather mallot. The plug is then perfectly flush, glued in place and the right color.

I use the little PC belt sander then a bit of ROS, takes them down quick. Often there is not enough sticking up to get a proper start with a saw, but enough to need leveling, and it's all cross grain so if using a block plane it has to be very sharp and a bit low angle. The belt sander doesn't care about any of those difficulties, and for me the plugs are never highly visible, so quick is my main objective.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I just sand them off with 80 grit on my ROS.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have cut them with a flush cut saw but lately I have been using my Bosch multitool with the fine toothed hardwood blade. Then I follow up with the sanding pad attachment.
    Mike