Thread: Towsmart winch question

Towsmart winch question

Does anyone have one of these?

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha.../p-2264340.htm

I want to buy one of these to lift machines in my shop. The box says two way ratchet, however, in looking at an opened one at Menards it appears that the ratchet locks when pulling only. When I released it, the mechanism would turn freely and not lock in place. I do not want to drop a machine. Is this how they work or did I miss something.

Thanks for any tips.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

The ratchet lever has up, down and a neutral setting. When you want to let the load down you have to put upward pressure on the crank then move the lever to the down setting. You can then turn the handle to let the load down.
    You have to be careful when moving the lever holding the handle tight so it doesn't slip because you could drop the load if the handle got away from you when you slip past the neutral setting.

Me thinks you are better off with a come-along cable hoist/puller. What you are looking at is more designed for winching(pulling) and may not be as safe for over head lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    Me thinks you are better off with a come-along cable hoist/puller. What you are looking at is more designed for winching(pulling) and may not be as safe for over head lifting.
    So I took your advice and bought a 2 ton come a long from Menards. On the box is says lifting in two places. When you read the manual that comes with it, you find out that it is not designed for lifting.

Is there a small device winch or cable puller that I can use to lift machines vertically? I only need maybe 300 pounds max.

Enjoy Life...

Why not get a harbor freight chain hoist I have one and it works really good had it for 20 years now

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Fries View Post
    So I took your advice and bought a 2 ton come a long from Menards. On the box is says lifting in two places. When you read the manual that comes with it, you find out that it is not designed for lifting.

Is there a small device winch or cable puller that I can use to lift machines vertically? I only need maybe 300 pounds max.
    "Cable Hoist/puller" is the key word..... I should not have used the words "come-along". Cable Hoist is more appropriate. I'm sorry if I confused you. But here's something from Northern Tool: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FVGRHwodxA0KQg

Please note that this cable hoist lift rating is 1/2 of the pulling rate. So this 4000lbs device can lift 2000lbs.
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 10-08-2015 at 12:43 PM. Reason: more clarification.

+1 on the HF chain hoist. Easy to use, cheap, works well as long as you have something solid to anchor it to.

I've used mine to lift machines out of the basement. I hang the hoist from the tractor bucket, put the bucket over the basement hatch, and pull big stuff right up.

HF also makes a thing they call an engine hoist, which I've also used to pick up machines. It sits on the floor, so there's no issue of anchoring overhead. However, it has less flexibility because you have to be able to get the legs of the hoist around whatever it is you wish to lift. This is the one I used to lift the jointer tables up onto the base

I use both in different situations. Well worth the cost to have both, IMO. Both well made, HF "gems".

Ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Platt View Post
    +1 on the HF chain hoist. Easy to use, cheap, works well as long as you have something solid to anchor it to. I've used mine to lift machines out of the basement. I hang the hoist from the tractor bucket, put the bucket over the basement hatch, and pull big stuff right up. HF also makes a thing they call an engine hoist, which I've also used to pick up machines. It sits on the floor, so there's no issue of anchoring overhead. However, it has less flexibility because you have to be able to get the legs of the hoist around whatever it is you wish to lift. This is the one I used to lift the jointer tables up onto the base I use both in different situations. Well worth the cost to have both, IMO. Both well made, HF "gems". Ken
    +2. The harbor freight chain hoist works great! I have one permanently installed in my workshop. Never know when you might need to lift something heavy!

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll return the come along and get a chain hoist.

Enjoy Life...

fyi the original winch you showed is really moreso meant for boat trailers and winching boats up onto the trailer. Glad that you have found something else that will work better for you.

Greg