Thread: DeWalt 7740/7770 RAS Quality?

DeWalt 7740/7770 RAS Quality?

First, for those of you who answered my earlier questions on the DW MBF saws, thanks! Unfortunately, someone else got to the one being sold locally before I did. The AMF and early B&D saws with the solid cast iron arms don't show up that often, and when they do, they go FAST.

On the other hand the 7740 and 7770 saws are a lot more common, and they tend to stay on Craigslist longer. I know that that they're considered inferior to the earlier saws with solid cast iron arms, but how much more inferior are they? I've been looking for a DW RAS because my '70s vintage Craftsman isn't great at holding adjustments - I leave it locked at zero degrees and it still seems to need regular tweaking when I have a job that demands precision. Even though the 7740 and the 7700 are less robust than the earlier DeWalt saws, are they still sufficiently better than the Craftsman that they'll hold and accurately return to a 90-degree setting?

(And yes, I know a lot of people love SCMSs for crosscutting, but I REALLY like the RAS's big table and ability to cut dadoes.)

I think the rule of thumb is that the earlier ones with the elevation handle in the back (7790) were the last of the good dewalts. I had a 7790 for a few years and liked it and it was far better than a C'man.

I'd pass on the 7740 and wait for a better one to come along. Last think you want to do is compromise on the saw, find out its not much of an upgrade, then see the one you really wanted pop up on CL! Be patient and wait for what you want, and possibly expand your search radius.

there is also delta saws to consider, I bought a delta/rockwell 12-ras

I had a 7740 in my shop for many years and I would agree that it is only marginally better than the Craftsman. I got a lot of use out of it but it died and I replaced it with an older 14" turret saw which is exponentially better.

Thanks, guys. Unfortunately, that's the feedback I was expecting.

Anyone know where the old cast iron oval-arm Craftsmans fit in the hierarchy of goodness?

I bought a 7770 brand new many years ago and it is still my "go to" saw for cross cuts. I keep it locked at 90 degrees and get perfect cuts every time. Since I bought a meter saw, I never use it for anything but cross cuts.