Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help explaining PLUMBING to A SENIOR CITIZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    I gave up arguing with my wife over this, because she is convinced that if you turn it way up, it heats faster!

I'm slow learning some things, but I have learned to pick the important battles at home...
    In fact, many heating control systems operate in a manner that makes the heating up process go faster the farther they are from the setpoint - this is called proportional control - it is commonly used on higher end heating sytems. The 'old fashioned way' uses a thermostat which is either on or off and therefore it makes no difference to heating rate as to whether you set it hotter or not

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    I'm slow learning some things, but I have learned to pick the important battles at home...
    Keith, you may be slow. I don't know. ..But in the end you are a very wise man.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Good luck. I once tried to explain to my father that turning the temperature really low on the thermostat didn't make the AC cool faster. Let him do what he wanted after that.
    I tried to explain this to my 14 year old daughter also. Does not compute.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    In fact, many heating control systems operate in a manner that makes the heating up process go faster the farther they are from the setpoint - this is called proportional control - it is commonly used on higher end heating systems. The 'old fashioned way' uses a thermostat which is either on or off and therefore it makes no difference to heating rate as to whether you set it hotter or not
    The heat pump in our travel trailer will do this as will our home A/c system. But the commercial system we have at our church does not. Yet, if the ladies in the kitchen got too warm when they are cooking, they go to the thermostat and turn it down to a cooler temp even though it isn't keeping up with the heat output from the commercial stove and ovens. I guess it makes them feel better.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute