Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Enough Extend Space using Rotary Attachment

No Enough Extend Space using Rotary Attachment

Hi all....I am a very beginner newbie trying to engrave on a wine glass. I am using a Chinese 50W laser engraver with the rotary attachment. If I make the design small, I am able to engrave the glass with no problems. However, the design needs to be much larger to look correct. If I increase the size, I receive the No Enough Extend Space error. I've read several posts about this error, but they don't seem to apply because I'm not engraving on a flat design. I have lowered the speed to as slow as 50mm/s and I still receive the error. Is there something that I am missing that must be done with a rotary engraver? I see flashlights engraved in a complete circle and I cannot for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help at all will be GREATLY appreciated! These are for my wedding in two weeks!

Sondra BOone

I'm not familiar with the Chinese laser but my Universal Laser has a diameter setting that must be entered, maybe that might be the issue.
    TROTEC Laser, Roland SP300,SAWGRASS SG1000 Sublimation Printer, Q1 Mod New Hermes Vanguard 3400 Engraver, Daige Laminator, Next Wave Shark HD510 CNC

I've tried that too with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondra Boone View Post
    I've tried that too with no luck.
    This image might be too close to the left or right of the machine. On my machine you have to have around 1/2 clearance on the left for right on any etching.

Try moving your image 1/2" over and see what the machine says.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Pace View Post
    This image might be too close to the left or right of the machine. On my machine you have to have around 1/2 clearance on the left for right on any etching.

Try moving your image 1/2" over and see what the machine says.
    That's exactly what it is. Your image is too close to the edge. You can move the image, shink the image, or lower your rastering speed. Basically the error is tell you that the laser head doesn't have enough room to get up to the speed that you want in the the available space
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

It's on a rotary attachment....it rotates so it shouldn't be too close to anything right? The laser head moves the same way no matter which part of the glass it is etching....or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Sondra Boone View Post
    or am I missing something?
    Yes
    It's the movement of the laser head from the left to right and you can only go so far before it crashes into the frame of your laser. But your work space is defined by your software which can be (and usually is smaller then they physical space on your laser).

I've explained the issue as best I can, and given you options on how to fix it. I wish I could think of some example to help you better understand this, but I can't, sorry. The image in the work space needs to be move away from the left or right edge, if you can't do that, shrink it until it is away from the edges.

Again, sorry, not trying to sound short, but I just don't have another way to explain it.
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Achtschin View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Chinese laser but my Universal Laser has a diameter setting that must be entered, maybe that might be the issue.
    Maybe I'm not setting it up correctly or in the right place. I'm using Laserworks software....is that what you are using?

Ok I moved the rotary attachment to the front left edge of the machine, reset the origin to this new position, moved the image to a new location (bottom left of workspace) and I still get the Slop Error message. I'm working with a 1200mmx800mm workspace and the image itself is 600mm x 300mm. The image prints great if I shrink it by 10% but I need it to wrap the glass and that size is too small to accomplish what I'm trying to do. I know I've seen round objects with larger imprint areas....I just can't figure out for the life of me what I'm missing to make this work.

Any thoughts? And thank you so much for your help! I know it is frustrating talking to newbies! (I'm sure I'm going to have a Homer Simpson Doh moment eventually!)
    Last edited by Sondra Boone; 10-07-2015 at 6:48 PM.

Does it tell you if the slop is in X or Y? Try putting the rotary in the middle of the bed. If you are setting the origin at the edge of the bed, and the image will start engraving at the origin, then there will be no room. Your origin needs to be far enough from the side for the laser to get a running start.

If your cylinder unit works like anything else with these machines, then the left margin the machine "sees" is going to be at the left edge of what you're engraving no matter where you park it in the machine. The slop error will happen because of the margin, even if it's just an imaginary line....

you need to figure out how to increase the margin space...

I don't know if you're using Corel or what, but try this: Draw a box around the work, about 2" bigger all around. Color it blue or some other color than the color you're engraving (black most likely) so you can avoid engraving it...

If you can figure out where to engrave the glass correctly with the box added, you should be okay-- the idea is for the machine to see the left edge of the box as the left margin. If it's 2" from your engraving, no slop error.
    It doesn't matter that it won't engrave, it's still part of the overall graphic, and it will be the boundary...

hope this makes sense!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Sondra,

Walt and Kev have described the fix for you. Lets see if I can give you a different explanation of the problem that clicks better for you?

Your rotary is replacing one of your axis in the laser. Depends how it is set up, but it can be the X or the Y. The same thing happens with a rotary device on a CNC router BTW. Either way though, think of the graphic going around your diameter as if it were actually laid flat rather than being wrapped around a cylinder. If one side of the graphic would meet or exceed one side of your laser's working limits you would get that stop error right? All you have done with the rotary is tricked the laser into thinking it is working with a flat graphic, when in fact you are rotating your work piece so the graphic actually wraps around the cylinder. The laser is sending out signals to the motors for that axis to make it move the way it thinks it would for a flat graphic. But you are sending those movement signals to the rotary instead, causing it to rotate instead of the laser moving the gantry in that axis.

Does that help see the problem a bit better?

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

You guys are SO AMAZING for helping me out! Thank you Dave, I do understand now! (Cue the Homer Simpson Doh!) I will try what you suggested Walt and Kev and let you know how it goes! Thanks so much you guys...you ROCK!

I just wanted to thank everyone again for your help. Unfortunately, none of the above fixed my problem. However, after your great explanations of what was happening I was able to find my error. I had to rewrite the Y Breadth settings for my laser. It had been set at a default of 300mm and that is when all of the etching would stop with the No Enough Extend Space error. Increasing this number and writing it to the system board fixed my issue! Thanks so much for helping me to understand enough about what I was doing to look for the error!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

GREAT! That 300mm limit would indeed override all of our suggestions!

Now get to work!!

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle