Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will I be happy with a 6' bench?

Will I be happy with a 6' bench?

Howdy all,

I came on a 4'x4'x6' pallet of mostly QS white oak, mostly in 2x2 to 2x6 sizes but only 6' in length. Never having had a "real" woodworking bench I'd like to build one. A friend has some lovely old European bench over 8' long that is just a beauty to see. Is that necessary is the question. I have so much wood I'll build one anyway and I'm sure I'll find out if it is satisfactory but what do you think? Can anyone recommend a style in a short bench like that? I do have the workbench book somewhere. I'll have to dig it out.

Btw, this is a drive by gloat too. The cost of the 900+ bf of qswo? 40.00. No more milling my own for a while.

Tia, m

Blog Entries
    I'd love to have a bench that long. Mine is 4 feet long. I favor simplicity - Good top / simple vises.

I'd like to build a bench - it would need to slide under the general purpose bench but I've figured it out. Me, I will build a 5-6' top (3-4" thick) split top with reversible tool trough / 1/2" planing stop, quick release face vise, dog holes, and maybe a end vise. It will go on an Adjust a Bench with wheels for mobility.

There are many good bench designs - find one that you like for the way you work.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    http://www.raintreeshouse.com/WoodWork/Woodworking.htm

Check out this workbench.

It is Roy Underhill's design and is in "The Wooderight's Apprentice", a book Roy wrote.

I built the folding workbench and used it for years. When I built my current bench, one of my son's took the bench and is still using it.

Check it out.

My bench is 6 feet and does everything I ask of it. The only thing I'd like to have that it doesn't, is a split top. Mine has a tool tray that tends to accumulate junk.

You can do everything on a long bench that you can do on a short bench, but the reverse is not necessarily true. I have had a real problem trying to surface 8' boards (for a couple of tables) on my smaller bench.

As long as you are going to glue the boards breadboard style, you can stagger shorter boards to get a longer length. For example if you wanted an eight foot bench, cut one board into two foot lengths and glue them alternately with the six foot lengths. Have every other row start or stop with a two foot length. If you are going to build a bench, you should feel happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    You can do everything on a long bench that you can do on a short bench, but the reverse is not necessarily true. I have had a real problem trying to surface 8' boards (for a couple of tables) on my smaller bench.
    Well now that's a good point. It does matter what size material you usually process and what kind of stuff you plan to build. I do smaller funiture and use an electric jointer & planer to dimension my lumber. By the time it reaches my bench it's under 4 feet long. Good catch Nicholas.

Thanks for the replies folks. If I like it or lump it, I'm going to build a 6'er if for experience only. If I don't like it maybe someone else will. The only question is what type. Being a shop teacher I'm more of a machine type because it's what I teach. Being a being a flea/garage sale type, I have lots of hand tools. I have to bridge the gap.

Blog Entries
    The bench I just finished is about 6'. This was a reduction to the prior 84" bench it replaced. The only thing I've noticed is that the bench is now used as a bench and doesn't collect fodder, no room. ;-) I find it big enough even with the bench-on-bench in play.

1.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My five footer (27 x 60 top). No complaints relating to size yet.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Mark,
    I am a shop teacher also and this is my "podium" that I built. It is from oak scraps that someone gave me and some square tubing and angle iron for the base. It is 60"x22" it handles almost everything that I that I need except planing long boards. It isn't exactly lightweight but it does move around a little. I read on the Benchcrafted blog that Jameel puts swade leather under the feet and it almost locks it in place. Gonna try it. Build it, if you dont like there is someone out there that doesnt have much space and would be interested.
    Cody
    Bench3.jpg

You can be happy with a 6' bench. I am happy with mine and it's only 5'. However, I am space-constrained.

Personally, I'd let the space dictate the length. Even if that means gluing up boards bowling alley style. (I have another bench made like that, and it works fine.)

It all depends upon how large your work is going to be. For years I used only a 4' bench at home. I had no room for a larger bench,and only made infill planes,flintlock pistols,fancy brass drills and other things like I have posted here. At work I was making musical instruments every day,and welcomed the break.

My current bench is over 7',but,except for building our large dining table,I really haven't needed that length. But,when you DO need the length,it is indispensable.

I guess it depends on your future projects. Some are fine with 6' or 7'. Chris did mention that the length is not the mistake one will do but the width. Reason is that you can access the entire bench with you arm and not move around the entire work bench just to get your tools. In this aspect he is pretty much right.

There will be a case that common practise will not work. I need to work on 4x8 ply wood hence I will build a table of that size. A workbench is an organic tool. It changes as your work changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Cantrell View Post
    Mark,
    I am a shop teacher also and this is my "podium" that I built. It is from oak scraps that someone gave me and some square tubing and angle iron for the base. It is 60"x22" it handles almost everything that I that I need except planing long boards. It isn't exactly lightweight but it does move around a little. I read on the Benchcrafted blog that Jameel puts swade leather under the feet and it almost locks it in place. Gonna try it. Build it, if you dont like there is someone out there that doesnt have much space and would be interested.
    Cody
    Bench3.jpg
    Even though my bench weighs a ton, it would slide on the concrete if I got too aggressive with a plane. I used some shelf liner from Walmart under each leg and it's like it's glued to the floor.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.