Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will I be happy with a 6' bench?

Build your bench at six feet (plenty for most things, no?). Then, all you need is one long 2x4 of lumber (of an appropriate longer length, 8', etc) glued to another shorter length with dogs bored into it. Clamp the piece in the vise across the front of the bench with the glued piece to the left (forming a continuation of dog holes to whatever length you chose)... Voila, longer bench when needed. When you finish, detach the false front you've created and store wherever is convenient.

Blog Entries
    If you build a lot of case goods you may find the length helpful. You can think of a bench, especially a roubo as a giant planing beam.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

6 ft. and lov'n it.

I do have a 10' planning form for bamboo rods but that has always sat on the cabinets/bench and won't be used on a ww bench. I've been searching the net for ideas but I guess I need to look for a vise. I have 6-7 different ww vises but if I make the top more than 2"s I don't think they'll work. I haven't looked at them in a while but I believe they were designed for a 2" top.

Thanks again.

That's all I've had for well over 20 years, and it's served me OK. I'd have a larger bench if I had a larger shop, but I don't, so I don't.

Rob,
    Just tried some regular liner and it is awesome! Great tip.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    I do have a 10' planning form for bamboo rods but that has always sat on the cabinets/bench and won't be used on a ww bench. I've been searching the net for ideas but I guess I need to look for a vise. I have 6-7 different ww vises but if I make the top more than 2"s I don't think they'll work. I haven't looked at them in a while but I believe they were designed for a 2" top.

Thanks again.
    Vise hardware is more versatile than a metal vise but, I have hogged out the underside of benches before to make room. I have also mounted vises under a 3" top, recessed the rear metal jaw into the apron and used a wooden chop to bring the height to the top surface.

TNWB Original Vise.JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've been using a 4-foot long Sjobergs "hobbyist bench." I got it when I lived in a College apartment and vowed to build a larger bench just as soon as I had a free weekend. That was in 1984. Still have it. I use hand tools pretty much exclusively and it has always answered my need. I do store chain, old sash weights and other heavy things in the little cabinet under the top, and it's anchored in the floor. I've replaced many of the pulpwood panels it had with plywood or solid panels to stiffen it up, over the years. The few times that I needed something longer I managed with sawhorses supporting the long end of the work piece. But mostly it is just fine for the smaller stuff that makes up the bulk of the work that I do.

But as soon as I have a free weekend...

David.

I have a 21" x 60" bench. It's large enough but it does get crowded. I added an 8" tool tray and that helps a little. As I'm working on a project, I might have chisels, planes and a shooting board and/or a bench hook and/or a moxon vice, etc. all in use. While I would prefer to leave them all at hand, I need to constantly take tools out and put them back. It's a small thing and not too much bother. Assembling larger pieces can be a challenge but I've made some fairly large projects.

At some point in the future, I'll build a new bench. I think 24" x 84" is about right for me but even 72" would be enough. There are lots of opinions about tool trays. I love mine and the new bench will have one as well.
    Last edited by Daniel Rode; 10-12-2015 at 11:20 PM.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    There are lots of opinions about tool trays.
    Some people do not like them and think of them as a place for tools and stuff to collect. My feeling is that is why it is there. Better in a tool tray than on top of the bench. It also helps to keep things from getting knocked off the bench if you keep it in the tool tray.

When things get too cluttered, it takes less than 5 minutes to put everything away.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)