Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book on Building a Back Saw

Book on Building a Back Saw

Hi All,

I have been looking at back saws, and have been thinking about building my own. I saw a book on building such: "Building a Custom Backsaw" by Matt Cianci.

Is the book pretty good, and can a person read it and then build a good back saw, assuming the person is pretty good with tools?

Your advise will be appreciated.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Is the book pretty good, and can a person read it and then build a good back saw, assuming the person is pretty good with tools?
    The book has never crossed my path so no comment can be made on its quality.

If a person is pretty good with tools, then they really do not need a book to figure out how to build a good back saw.

The first consideration is how much you plan to make yourself. If one were to make their own saw nuts, back and everything else, then a book might be a good guide.

Before spending money for a book, look here:

http://norsewoodsmith.com/content/backsaw-project

There are a lot of folks here who have built their own saws and are likely willing to answer any questions.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi All,

I have been looking at back saws, and have been thinking about building my own. I saw a book on building such: "Building a Custom Backsaw" by Matt Cianci.

Stew
    I have the book. It is a good book and well worth the nominal cost. Actually, it was a download from Popular Woodworking. I didn't know it was published as a book. I still have it on my computer.

Go for it. There's no risk involved.

I have built a backsaw that is a very good saw. I bought a kit from Ron Bontz.

It is tough to bend a good back. I thing someone called "two guys in a garage" sells backs(tgiag) maybe they are on woodnet.

Amazon has a DVD by Matt on building a backsaw and a book on supertuning a backsaw. Couldn't find the book referred to by the OP. DVD looks interesting and I may purchase, though!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/?s...cianci&submit=

Check the link above. I have two of Matts videos.

There are members of this forum that sell folded brass backs. Ron Bontz is one of them.

I picked up his DVD at a local L-N handtool event. It's a good video, lots of tips and tricks and pitfall avoiding advice. As mentioned, Ron Bontz sells parts, even a kit of sorts for Bianci book/video that if I recall pays for the book/DVD in savings through him.
    Thats a project on the long list of things to do after rent gets paid, the kids are fed, dogs are walked and mama's happy.

Having never seen the book, my .02 would be to get the video.
    “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
    ― Henry Ford

I know you asked for a book. But just another idea. As someone already mentioned, Ron Bontz ( Bontz Saw Works) sells kits for around $100. They look like nice stuff and Ron is very generous with his advice on this forum. Another source is Tools For Working Wood. They sell a nice dovetail saw kit for $120. Includes the back, a sharpened blade, etc. That could give you a sense of what's involved if you wanted to start out a bit easier and have the cash. I plan to buy that at some point as a "starter".

Let us know how it goes.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I know you asked for a book. But just another idea. As someone already mentioned, Ron Bontz ( Bontz Saw Works) sells kits for around $100. They look like nice stuff and Ron is very generous with his advice on this forum. Another source is Tools For Working Wood. They sell a nice dovetail saw kit for $120. Includes the back, a sharpened blade, etc. That could give you a sense of what's involved if you wanted to start out a bit easier and have the cash. I plan to buy that at some point as a "starter".

Let us know how it goes.
    Fred
    I've bought a kit from Ron. His material is absolutely first class. He is generous with his time and also shows interest in your project.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I've bought a kit from Ron. His material is absolutely first class. He is generous with his time and also shows interest in your project.
    It would be a hoot to build one and post it for review like Stewie does. (Not that I could approach his level of work.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Hi All,

Stew
    I cannot find the book mentioned, I think you mean a DVD. THe DVD is useful, but could be much better. I make back saws, mainly for the fun of it (I give them away mostly as I already have a full quiver of saws for my use), and do not use the DVD as a reference. There are masses of on-line resources. I do think the Ron Herman DVDs on saw sharpening are good.

Good morning,
    I wanted to correct an error. I do not sell folded backs. Although, I have been trying to get some one to make them for about two years. A journey that has, at times, frustrated me to no end. I, as well as Issac, (Blackburns Tools) sells slotted backs. Dominic (TGIAG) sells folded backs. Both steel and brass. They appear to be 12 gauge material. I have not measured the spring force of them and I can only guess the brass is 260 but I have not asked. Either way they appear to be reasonably well made. Dominic and Issac both sell kits as well. As far as Matt's video, I have viewed it and there is some good basic info. in it for you. There is, of course, an abundance of information on making back saws out there via Internet. Best of luck to you.

Blog Entries
    Ron,
    I apologize for calling your back a folded back in my post. The one I received from you is indeed a slotted back. I failed to make the distinction between the two.

Blog Entries
    Download Matts video and get started. First thing to do is find scrap of gorgeous wood to make the tote.

Ah shucks,I ain't never read no book on making a back saw.