Thread: Quilted Maple Bowl

Quilted Maple Bowl

This is my latest segmented bowl made from quilted maple. It measures 13 inches in diameter and is 7 inches tall. Comments are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greg, I don't quite know how to reply to this without making hard feelings. I like the shape and finish of the bowl, but, to me it looks to busy with all of the quilting going in all directions.
    Len

Greg,
    I love quilted Maple. This seg turning really brings out the quilted effect and I am sure as you turn it in your hand it looks almost iridescent. I did one some years back and it got lots of oh's and aw's and sold very quickly. Beautiful turning, well done.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I like it but think there should be a darker colored wood at the rim. This is definitely a piece you need to see in person and be able to handle so you can view it at angles to see the quilting at it's best.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

That's not quilted maple, it's curly maple.

Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Scott View Post
    That's not quilted maple, it's curly maple.
    Agreed, but it is a common misidentification. They have entirely different appearances.

Thanks for the complements. Not wanting to get into a debate on the wood type, but I have a wood id book and they show a picture just like the wood I used under quilted maple. No matter what type of wood it is, it was a fun project for a friend who is giving it to his daughter as a gift.

That's a nice looking bowl. Good work!

I was in Woodcraft today and they were selling curly maple which looked like what I used. Go figure - at least we know it's maple

It's a very nice piece, Greg, and you're right, I used curly maple to make a cheese board for my daughter, and it looked a lot like this. I think I may have a curly maple bowl blank. If not, it would be easy for me to get.