Thread: Need help with a new dust collector

Need help with a new dust collector

I know I know another dust collector thread. I am currently upgrading my old torit dust collector and need some advice. I don't want to regret my purchase and have narrowed it down to two possible choices. The first is grizzlys g0441 3hp cyclone and the second is the g0671 4hp dual bag collector. The only reason I am looking at the bagged one is my old cyclone kept clogging in the lower cone part with all the big chips. I have it hooked up to a 24" grizzly planer and a 1908 24" Oliver jointer, so I am dealing with a lot of chips. My wide belt is on its on collector so I won't be dealing with much fine dust. My table saw and bandsaw will also be on the new collector along with a shaper. My question is are the new cyclones better at handling the big chips or is the dual bagger a better choice. The bigger has twice as much cfm capacity then the cyclone. My duct work is 8" main with 6" drops to machines. The longest run is probably 25'. thanks in advance for any advice. I have been lurking for some time and finally decided to join in on the conversations.

Matt

Matt,

Is your chip bin mounted right under the cyclone, and were you letting it fill up to overflowing? Also, what design is your current cyclone and are chips being drawn up into your filters?

I've never had a cyclone clog unless I neglect to empty the bin. Maybe the Torit is designed for dust only and can't handle chips?

If you are sure you won't have any dust, then I guess you can save some money and get a DC. However, the 4hp is designed to handle several machines at once; with just one machine, even your 24" machines, I doubt you will get much for the 4hp. I would be looking at the G0562ZP.

Big chips are super easy to separate with a Thien baffle. And cyclones are much better than a bag for separating dust. Can you just add a Thien baffle to the front of your existing system? This would be significantly cheaper than replacing the entire system.

Steve

Could you tell us about your torit dust collector? That is a commercial unit and should be a better collector than the hobby collectors.

I would consult tech support at Clear Vue.
    They talked to me.

Thanks for the responses guys. After looking for any air leaks as suggested I found a weld that had popped loose and resulted in a three inch long gap in the cyclone body. Needless to say that was causing the issue. The dust collector is fairly old and is really not big enough for what I am doing. After talking with several people I ended up getting a new 5hp Oneida super dust gorilla. Should be here next week. To say I am a little excited might be an understatement. Thanks again for all the help.