Thread: Larger Jaws for Talon vs Larger Chuck

Larger Jaws for Talon vs Larger Chuck

I have a Talon chuck (standard jaws that came with chuck) which I use on my Jet 1642. I recently started to do hollow forms to 6" depth. Eventually I'll want to do HFs with a 12" - 14" depth. I need to know if my Talon with standard jaws will provide enough holding strength, or, should I get larger and/or deeper jaws for the Talon, or a larger chuck (Stronghold). Thanks.

If the hollow form is supported with a steady rest it will work just fine. I use some pretty small tenons with a hollow form steady rest. At that point the tenon is just something to drive the piece. I just prepped a 6" piece with the standard Talon Jaws. It is a very good little chuck.

I agree with Alan - the Talon will work just fine! I used it for years on my Jet 1642 and now use it on my Robust AB - great chuck - just be sure to use a steady.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

For 12 inch (or more) deep hollow forms, I am a firm believer in face-plates. For really deep hollow forms, a face-plate and a steady rest. I know that other ways can work but this works for me.

All sounds good. No need to spend $ on another chuck. Thanks.

Just be sure to keep tail-stock pressure when shaping the outside until the steady rest is set up.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks Thom.

Well, I don't do many hollow forms, but have found with my bowls, larger jaws on a small chuck work, but the same size jaws on a bigger chuck are a lot more stable, and there is less vibration. Of course, much of this depends on the mass of what ever it is that you are turning.

robo hippy

I use talon chucks for fairly large work at times - got a few strongholds, too, so not that often. I use the #3 jaws for larger work. The smooth dovetail version has worked fine for me. I actually prefer the smaller chuck body when working at the headstock side of some pieces, but I agree with Reed that the added mass of the larger chucks seem to damp vibration better.