Thread: Moisture meter. Do you use one?

Moisture meter. Do you use one?

A $35 gift card to a big box has me browsing wood shop suitable tools. More clamps? One can always use more clamps but given their obvious importance I have little trouble rationalizing that purchase to the wife. This card seems a good reason to buy something I might ordinarily pass up were it my money.

So I'm considering the Ryobi a Phone Works smart phone moisture meter. This device connects to your smart phone through the headphone jack and uses your phone screen as a display as well as allows you to store a history etc.

Thoughts? Waste of my gift card? Why? Bad product or moisture meters are rarely used.

I use my moisture meter frequently, I don't like surprises. I can't speak to the ryobi, sounds like an interesting concept, use that $700 computer in your pocket as the tool and sell a sensor to make it go. No idea if it works, but cool idea if it does. Gadgets are fun!
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I use a moisture meter occasionally.............Rod.

I dry my own lumber so I use a MM a lot. I also use it when I need to buy lumber. It eliminates unpleasant surprises. If you get the Ryobi gadget let us know how it works. Sure sounds cool.

John

Blog Entries
    I own a moisture meter. It gets used occasionally.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have a Lignomat meter, and my main use is when I first bring new lumber into the shop, I will hand plane a section, measure the moisture, and mark with a crayon. Then when I am ready to use the wood I again check the moisture and compare to what I expect the EMC to be.

I would say a moisture meter is useful, but not essential.

Nope. Not ever.

I use a moisture meter almost daily (I have a kiln and dry hardwood). The Delmhorst J2000X and the Wagner MMC 210. I am interested in how the Ryobi thing works. Unfortunately, $35 would buy batteries for my meters.

Lignomat gets a lot of use in my shop but then I have milled and air dried a significant amount of maple.