Thread: Router enthusiast

Router enthusiast

Hello everyone! The title pretty much says it all, I love working with routers. I have worked with most of the routers available in the US so I may be able to assist members with questions on them. I built my first router table from the plans in ShopNotes #1 and was later "converted" to the "Keep it simple" methods taught by Bob and Rick Rosendahl of the Router Workshop. Over the years I have developed relationships with many of the tool and supply companies, authors and individuals around the world.
    Here are a few of my routers and a couple of the jigs and fixtures I have designed and built.
    Big boys.jpgISSevent04.jpgVacGuard 13.JPG1601SJ 05.JPG
    Mike

Hi Mike,

I've seen this stuff somewhere before

TomE

Here's a question for you: Is there a good, low center of gravity trim router similar to the PC 310?

I keep dedicated cutters in them, like 1/16" and 1/8" roundovers. I like being able to grip it right at the base for stability and it seems less prone to tipping than taller trim routers that I have like the Bosch Colt and new version PC. I bought a bunch of 310s when they were being closed out years ago, but will be needing replacements at some point.
    JR

That is highly likely Tom.
    Mike

JR, I think the ideal solution is to use an extended or over sized sub base plate where space permits. The Colt is my favorite of the small trim routers and it fits my hand very well. All of the small routers have more stability in the plunge base and dust collection is available for most of them. I count that as a big plus.
    SRC rear view.JPG
    Mike

Mike, thanks for your reply in the other thread (how long to live without a router).

Since you suggested router combo kits in that thread, what combo kits would you suggest for an occasional woodworker like me?

Ashley, I prefer the Bosch 1617EVSPK. Bosch has less run out than most other brands and the bearings are better. This is the combo kit others are based on. 2-1/4 hp is enough to spin most bits, even the big panel raising bits. If you were going to be using these huge bits on a regular basis then a 3-1/4 hp router would be a better choice. In an effort to keep prices low companies often do not include items that you really should have with a router. In this case it includes the RA1126 quick release adapter, the RA1100 PC guide bushing adapter and RA1173 dust collection adapters.
    RA1173AT.jpgRA1126.jpgRA1100.jpg
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Here's a question for you: Is there a good, low center of gravity trim router similar to the PC 310?

I keep dedicated cutters in them, like 1/16" and 1/8" roundovers. I like being able to grip it right at the base for stability and it seems less prone to tipping than taller trim routers that I have like the Bosch Colt and new version PC. I bought a bunch of 310s when they were being closed out years ago, but will be needing replacements at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike McGrath View Post
    JR, I think the ideal solution is to use an extended or over sized sub base plate where space permits. The Colt is my favorite of the small trim routers and it fits my hand very well. All of the small routers have more stability in the plunge base and dust collection is available for most of them. I count that as a big plus.
    SRC rear view.JPG
    I'll give a +1 to the Colt in the plunge base. This is what the Colt was always supposed to be to my way of thinking. Not the same feel in the hand as a 310. Speaking of 310's, you can find them used for more than the original new cost sometimes but, not often. If I'd only known . . . it is really the only PC router that I cared for. However, routers are a pretty personal tool; the feel in my hand of one may be very different for you.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-08-2015 at 6:43 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a Colt and it is nice and smooth. I just like the balance of the 310, since I use it one handed and shuffle through parts with the other hand while it stays running. I've done bearings on a couple and they don't last as long as original factory fresh...
    JR

That is a nice collection of routers Mike. I have the 1617 combo set. I first bought the colt, when the plunge base was offered I got it. I just had to get another colt, it was on sale what can I say!
    I have a few more that I have purchased along the way. I have made some custom bases and fixtures that has added to the versatility of the router. I think the router is my favorite choice because
    of the many uses it provides the woodworker.
    Thanks for all of the help over the years, much appreciated.

Ellery Becnel

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post

I purchased a Dewalt DWP611, 1.25hp earlier this year. It has variable speed control and LED lights and an over-sized plate on one side. I don't have near the experience with different routers as Mike, but I can say that using the 611 is very enjoyable compared to my older trim routers. I use it for 1/16 & 1/8 ROs, small rabbets, and simple profiles in small stock where shaper set up time is too long for short runs. I also use it to route a stop-profile in stiles of face frames with no tipping problems. The variable speed makes it very easy to handle as I just slow the speed and my feed rate as I predominantly climb cut using it.
    -Lud

Hi Ellery, it is nice to find you here. One of these days I will get all my routers into one photo. One of the local guys just bought my Grizzly table with the Triton TRA-001 router.(I need the room!) I will be taking photos showing how to set up the Excalibur deluxe cast iron router table and lift soon so I can have General International pick it up. That just leaves the cast iron winged Craftsman table saw I grabbed for Barb to use in her sign making to get out of the garage and I will actually be able to work inside.
    004.JPG100_1873.JPGt10432.jpg
    Mike

I am here every Day Mike. I can relate to space issues. I look forward to a full size shop one day. Retirement is right around the corner. I hope to have it all in place before that happens, a few more years to go.
    Just like I told my youngest son, "you can never too many routers and clamps" Yes, Bosch is the favorite of mine also. Take care.

Ellery Becnel