Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long to live without a router?

Ashley, welcome to Sawmill Creek.

How long without a router, well 40 years for me and counting.

I would get much more use out of a dado blade than a router.

I owned a box joint blade set from Freud if I remember correctly, it was great as it made flat bottomed cuts with no "bat ears" when making box joints............Rod.

How long? Hmmm..... I have 9 (?) in the stable currently, and will be getting another one to dedicate to a slab flattening jig this weekend. Personally I hate the **** things, but they are often the quickest, easiest way to get an operation done.

I do a lot of production work, so I often have them pre-set for various operations- 2 router tables, one with nothing but laminate trimming, the one that will be a slab flattening jig, etc.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

Many folks go decades or their entire lives without one and do way better work than I do. I have two bigger ones and a micro-router for inlay work and use them with moderate regularity, much less now that I have a shaper, a really good dado set, and mortising machine.

My dado set cost more than my first router, and I use the router a lot more.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Why not buy a decent used router off of Craigslist? I have routers that sell for over $300... but my favorites are my ancient Stanley routers which I paid around $20 each.

Router manufactures spend a lot of money trying to convince woodworkers that all the little add on bells and whistles are necessities to get the job done but in reality any good basic used router will do what you need. When it comes to choosing a used router there are some really good solid Craftsman routers and some Craftsman routers that are junk. Be careful when choosing a Craftsman router and do a little research on the good vs bad models. Most other brands I have seen are pretty solid routers that do a good job. IF you stick with one of the major brands; Porter Cable, Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, etc. it is hard to go wrong. Just run the router for a few seconds, if it sounds bad it probably has bad bearings what would need to be replaced.

When it comes to dado blades I have a nice Freud 8" set and a really nice Amana 12" set. When my gf wanted to make some planters out of the cedar we pulled off her deck there was no way I was going to use my pricey dados! I bought a cheap Harbor Freight 8" dado set to use on her table saw (my fathers old rockwell contractors table saw) and I was amazed with the results the cheap HF set produced! I love fine precision tools... but some times cheap ones will be just as effective at getting the job done.
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 10-09-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Have used routers. Wrote a couple of books about them.
    Advocate their use, even in the face of the hard ads ridiculousness.
    Like: Make anything with one, drill holes, plane large surfaces, make frame and panel doors with 3.75" D cutters, make windows, and other architectural apps (hand rails, entry doors, crown molding, roundover bar tops etc.).
    But, in my view, they're way over sold. When the router makes good economic and practical sense use it don't shun it.
    It has its place. Short run, cutters <1.5" long or wide, modest joinery, decoration, some light milling, trimming. Anything bigger consider the Shaper, the tool for safe big cutter applications for medium to long runs.
    How long can you go without one? As long as possible.
    They have their place, however, and it's hard to find out where that is.

How long eh?

Well, I bought a Craftsman 1.5 HP and it sat on the shelf unused for a good 15 years.
    I also bought a Coleman 3 HP compressor on sale for $99 that sat for a dozen years before I used it & also a Craftsman 18 ga brad nailer that I didn't use for a decade or longer.

Now I have four or five routers, a combo set, a few Dremels, a RotoZip - along with 4 compressors and a bunch of nail guns.

I'd be lost w/out any of them since they all get used very often.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have 3 routers and 2 dado sets. I can't remember the last time I used a dado set but one or more routers are used on pretty much every project.

There was a thread a year or two back that asked how many routes people had. Many that responded had 3-5, but 8-10 was not uncommon. I can easily justify 5 or 6, though I have more than that.

Routers are simply useful tools, but you can find ways to do the same work with other tools for the most part.

How long to live without a router - not one more day! Actually I often buy off Amazon and get 2 day delivery so maybe a couple more days. There is no reason to avoid routers. They are noisy but otherwise are fine to use. I made a kitchen full of oak raised panel doors with mine. I've also made lots of flat panel doors. In the house I built a kitchen for, I made crown moulding for the living room and dining room with my routers. I wouldn't do that again - I have enough money to buy the moulding and it took a ton of time to make it - but it's fully possible. But I would do kitchen doors again, they're pretty easy. Lots of furniture needs a cove cut or an edge on the top. A plunge router will make nice mortises. They are a very versatile tool that is an important part of my shop.

I have the motor from an old Ryobi R-500 in my router table. I have another router table setup in the extension wing of my table saw with a fixed base attached for one of my PC690s (I have two with 4 bases). I also use a Bosch Colt some. I have a couple junk routers too and I don't use them unless it's for an operation I don't want to use one of my good routers for. So I have 6 but I really use 4 the vast majority of the time. A combo kit with a mid-sized router is a very good way to start. Ending there is no crime but many of us didn't. The Bosch 1617s seem to be low in price to me right now. Many of my tools where rebuilts. I've had good luck with them. Last I looked you could get the Bosch kit for a little over $200 in a rebuilt. That seems like a great deal to me. When I bought my PC690s they were the better deal.

Ashley- I'll jump on the bandwagon with other posters, and suggest you get a router before getting a dado blade. I'd also recommend getting a combo kit (fixed and plunge bases). Definitely get a router with both 1/4" and 1/2" collets. Other features to consider include soft start and variable speed (esp. nice with larger bits), bit depth adjustment mechanism, dust collection capability, and "nice touches", such as a built in light. Personally, for bit depth adjustment, I prefer a vertical screw (e.g. Bosch) over traditional twisting the motor body within the base (e.g. Porter Cable, old Craftsman).

I've not found Craigslist to be a good source for routers- most listed in my area seem to be either old hobbyist (1/4" collet only) routers (mostly C'man), with no additional features, or else bigger routers that have seen a lot of hard use. I don't think the price differential against new justifies going with a used router. Instead, I'd consider a refurbished router from someplace like CPO Outlets.

I think the best value these days is the Craftsman 27683 combination kit, which on sale can be found for close to $100. It seems to be either made by the same mfr. as Bosch (without wood handles!), or a close knock-off). It has both fixed and plunge bases, variable speed, and soft start. Pricing at Sears is often quirky, so the similar, but more powerful 27680 is frequently cheaper!?

For a step up in name brand and quality, a lot of people like Porter Cable, but I don't see anything particularly special about PC routers. I have a Milwaukee 5615 combo kit. I particularly like the hand grip, which gives great control, and terrific depth control adjustment. It's not soft start or

Blog Entries
    I'll make another argument. When you use a joinery plane you would normally clamp the piece to a flat reference table, so when you are cutting the groove the joinery will be made flat. It's likely a good shaper does this automatically, but most hobby-shop level router tables are not capable of doing so.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Johnson View Post
    Ok, Jim, I'll bite. What do you do with 4 routers? I can see one mounted in a table, and another when I want the work fixed and the machine moving. Perhaps if the second one doesn't have a plunge base then that's a third purchase. But I'm really stretching to understand 4 and interested in a couple more. Open my eyes, please?
    I have four, one table mounted, one plunge hand-held, one mini-router (Bosch Colt) and one that sits in a drawer collecting dust. There's my justification for 4 routers.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

There are always alternative methods for most woodworking and no wrong way to go about it as long as you keep safety in mind. Routers can do so much more than cut a decorative edge or make a dado cut. When combined with jigs they allow you to do just about anything. Need to surface or joint a board? Box joints, dovetails, bowls & trays, boxes? Cut spirals on a shaft, wavy rounded edges, round tenons, wheels, etc.. Most people do not take full advantage of their routers capabilities. Like any tool there is a learning curve with routers but most people can pick up the basics with just a couple short lessons.
    Mike

Personally, I try to incorporate using a router into every project that I make. As I add to my collection of tools, I try to use as many of them to constantly improve my woodworking skills. But my favorite is the router.

Ellery Becnel