Thread: Finished testing Mexican Nicholson file

Finished testing Mexican Nicholson file

Be sure to read all of this post:

I tried the Mexican Nich.(abbreviating Nicholson) file on a piece of steel today,comparing it to a new old stock Nick. USA made file. I am happy to say that the Mexican file seemed in all ways the equal of the USA made Nich. file. It had that "bite" which the old USA made ones had,and which I have not felt in any of the Asian made files.

Out of desperation,I did try a HF file a while back,and while it did file,it was a poor substitute for "The real thing". At that time,I was trying to find an easily obtainable file. The problem seems to have been solved now though.

There was no crumbling of teeth on the Mexican file. In all ways I was quite satisfied with it.

Caution though: This one file does NOT mean that every Mexican made Nich. file on the shelves will be a good one. There probably are still quite a few early production Mexican files still out there. So,proceed with caution.

I advise buying a Mexican Nich. file and first testing its hardness with an old FINE CUT USA made one,if you have one in your shop to use. File the front corner of your new file,where there are no teeth to ruin. If you do not,at least file a little SOFT steel with your new Mexican file. Look carefully at the teeth to see if they look shiny. If they do,take it back for a refund. Wait a while longer for the store to sell their stock and try again. I'd suggest buying from a high volume store like Home Depot,which sells Mexican Nicholsons(Lowe's sells Asian Kobalt files which I have tried,and which I feel are AWFUL).

There is still the chance that you could find a new old stock USA made Nich. file,so don't give up yet. However,I now have found my new Mexican file to be just fine. But for the tiny "Mexico" stamped on the file,I would not have told it from the old USA product. And,I am one PARTICULAR person,especially when it comes to files(and everything else,actually!)

It'd be great if we could figure some identifying mark or other which distinguishes the good ones.

Older guys will know, but it's not until you get to use them that you realise just how much better and how effective a metal removal tool a properly made file is...

Do you have experience with Bahco and do you know how they compare to a good Nicholson? I am pretty much stuck with Bahco overhere, not much else for sale except all the phantasy brandnames the big shops seem to prefer.

Yeah, my wife has gotten really tired of my dropping into any hardware store we’re driving by for the first time so that I can check their stock — I’d have to say that it’s pretty much cleared out, which makes me almost as sad as Nicholson dropping U.S. production.

Is there another U.S. manufacturer left? I’d be willing to pay the same sort of higher prices I pay for made in the U.S. clothing if there is.

We get Bahco in a limited number of types in Ireland (from the engineering supply places) too Kees, and they have been the best available locally short of mail ordering something fancy at big money from one of the boutique makers. Versus as you say the box store stuff which might not cut at all.

I'd have to say that while they are generally functional and get the job done that as George they typically don't have the same cut as a good brand file from years gone by, and probably don't last as well either. My experience is that individual examples can vary a bit too.

A well made old quality fairly coarse single cut file on mild steel is for example a bit of an eye opener - it peels metal off at a spectacular rate, and in the right hands can leave a finish much like a machined surface. You really know what's going on from the bite or the feel - the closest analogy i think of is the crispness and cut of a well sharpened saw versus one that's dull. There's a useful filing manual here on the Nicholson site: http://www.nicholsontool.com/Magento...iling-2014.pdf

I took a look to see if i could get some of the new Nicholsons in the UK, but so far only this US mail order web site has come up: http://www.nicholsontool.com/shipping-information It seems to say they only ship in the US, but the cost would likely be very high to Europe anyway. Who knows what's happening, it seems the Nicholson brand is owned by this pretty enormous group: http://www.apextoolgroup.com/brands-faceting They list distributors in the Netherlands and the UK, although they may not carry the files. (the latter in the UK don't list them anyway)

Part of the problem for me with files is that they do wear out (i've not tried the various sharpening options), and it's also useful to be able to grab a specific format to suit a specific job. Which means that sourcing locally would be a distinct advantage...

I own thousands of files,and have not tried the Bacho. David Weaver has.

Several years ago I bought out the files (the good ones anyway),that an old turn of the last century machinist supplier in New York had. I spent over $5000.00,and his prices were very very low. I am an inveterate file PIG!!!

But,the files I use most of all are the regular old 8" mill files,and those I did not have a great supply of. I ought to start selling 120+ year old sets of Swiss made needle files. They are better than the $145.00 sets Nicholson was selling at the end of their production,and better than the last of the Swiss Grobet needle files. They are the greatest quality needle files I have ever seen. Their corners are dead sharp-no flat spots at all. For some reason one file in just about all the sets has a small rusty spot on it,as if someone picked up that particular file with damp fingers during its manufacture. The rust isn't bad,and easily wiped away,but it's there. The file in question is the flat file that is parallel on all sides,and cut on all 4 sides. I used to know the names of all the files in a needle file set,but am forgetting some things at my age. They are all 5" or 6" files,mostly in #3 cut.

Anyway,I am fortunate to not have to rely too much on the vagaries of modern production of files. Lay by in store,as they say!
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-09-2015 at 9:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    Amazon has sellers that sell Bahco files. I suppose they could be contacted to see if they are the ones you want.

The Bahco files certainly aren't bad. I use them quite a lot. But I was curious how they compare to really good files. It's a mood point anyway, I should be happy that Bahco is easilly available in Holland.