Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who enforces Zoning law on the Enforcement Officer?

Who enforces Zoning law on the Enforcement Officer?

Can anyone tell me who enforces the Zoning Laws in a Municipality when it the Zoning Enforcement Officer that is in violation of the Zoning Ordinance, and the Board doesn't have the backbone to tell the ZEO he is in Violation ?

The same answer as to who fined the EPA when this happened...

********** no one. ************
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Who is going to watch the watchers?

Blog Entries
    You can always drop a dime to the local news services....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Sounds like the MO of the BTK killer. Somebody needs to check his cell.

I was on the zoning board and now the municipal council. My suggestion would be to document the violation (locate the code and action taken which was in violation).

Write a letter to your municipal manager and cc the chairman of the zoning board, the council president, the chief of police (if your enforcement officer is also a police officer) and the municipal attorney.

if you don't get a response or don't like the response, be a pest at every zoning board and council mtg (restating your issue during public comments) until uou get some resolution.

I'm a planner and zoning administrator by profession. In my state there are multiple levels where you can try to get relief. First step is to try to CALMLY explain your side to the zoning administrator, and do it multiple times if you have to -- we're not all jerks and live in the community just like you do. One thing I'll say is I'm only doing my job and if someone treats me like an arse it makes it much more difficult to sympathize and understand their position, so try very hard to be reasonable, not emotional and angry. Next step is to file an appeal to (in our case) a zoning hearing officer to show how their interpretation or action was against code; and it sounds like you already tried that. Next is to file an appeal to the highest municipal authority -- here it is our City Council -- they may or may not be willing to hear the case. Typically there are application fees to cover the costs of publishing legal notices and holding the meetings. And if that doesn't work of course you can hire an attorney and try to get relief through the court system; sometimes people go straight to this because it can take time. Good luck!

My advice is to not live anywhere where there is zoning or HOA's, it is my land and I can do what I want and my neighbors are far enough away that whatever we do doesn't bother each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Christ View Post
    I'm a planner and zoning administrator by profession. In my state there are multiple levels where you can try to get relief. First step is to try to CALMLY explain your side to the zoning administrator, and do it multiple times if you have to -- we're not all jerks and live in the community just like you do. One thing I'll say is I'm only doing my job and if someone treats me like an arse it makes it much more difficult to sympathize and understand their position, so try very hard to be reasonable, not emotional and angry. Next step is to file an appeal to (in our case) a zoning hearing officer to show how their interpretation or action was against code; and it sounds like you already tried that. Next is to file an appeal to the highest municipal authority -- here it is our City Council -- they may or may not be willing to hear the case. Typically there are application fees to cover the costs of publishing legal notices and holding the meetings. And if that doesn't work of course you can hire an attorney and try to get relief through the court system; sometimes people go straight to this because it can take time. Good luck!
    It sounds like in this case one of the Zoning officials is the one violating the rules personally.

There's a situation here where an entire community may lose federal flood insurance because the building inspector violated code.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/...ood-insurance/

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lovell View Post
    ...it is my land and I can do what I want...
    Pretty sure that's exactly the same thing the owner of Gold King Mine said. (See post #2.)

Likely your city manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Pretty sure that's exactly the same thing the owner of Gold King Mine said. (See post #2.)

You are mistaken. It is the Environmental Protection Agency which is responsible for this disaster -- not ther property owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    You are mistaken. It is the Environmental Protection Agency which is responsible for this disaster -- not ther property owner.
    The EPA didn't build the tailings pond (which was leaking before EPA even arrived on site). ...sometimes you just have to start at the beginning. Or not.

Blog Entries
    I was at a township water board meeting once when the water department said they just caught one of the water board members red-handed bypassing his water meter. He got kicked off the board and the judge ordered him to do community service.
    NOW you tell me...