Thread: External wall Fan

External wall Fan

The laser I'm thinking of buying comes with a floor mounted fan, which stops the laser sitting close to the wall. As room in my workshop is at a premium I would like the laser right against the wall. My current laser which has an internal fan has a duct run to the outside air of about 10". For the new laser I'm thinking of a fan mounted on the external wall with the duct run from the back of the machine through the external wall to the fan being about 10".

I done a little googling and came across this unit (haven't put a link as I'm not sure if that's allowed):

150mm UEC External Centrifugal Fan

These models are exhaust air fans for installation on external walls. The unit consists of an external rotor motor fitted with a backward-curved centrifugal fan in a housing manufactured in zinc-plated steel, protected with a tough white powder-coat finish. All ambient noise created by the fan is kept outside the building if it is installed on an external wall.

TYPICAL APPLICATION
    Ideal for applications where it is vital that the noise levels are at an absolute minimum e.g. recording studios or medical consulting rooms. However, they are also commonly used in domestic kitchens.

• For outdoor wall installation
    • Removes noise from the inside of the building
    • Robust but unobtrusive
    • High performance
    • Speed controllable
    • IPx4 rated
    • Thermal protection
    • Ball bearing motors

It's meant to extract 600 cubic metres an hour, would this work?

Here is a link to what I think you are describing. http://www.fastlec.co.uk/150mm-exter...l-fan-600m3-hr

My quick mental calculation (if accurate) would suggest that it doesn't have enough capacity for your job--but I'll defer to those more expert on such things.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    That fan is only good for 350 CFM, and that assumes (most likely) 0" SP... your system will not be at 0" SP if you hope to actually evacuate smoke, so the CFM will drop significantly.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I do like the look of this style of fan. I plan to get one of these when I move to a new premises.

They do come on 200mm:
    http://www.fansonline.com.au/fanco-v...fan-200mm.html
    And a speed controller dial:
    http://www.fansonline.com.au/speed-c...-variable.html
    Vector Etch Laser Cutting & Engraving
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Trotec Speedy 360 120W
    Trotec Speedy 100 60W

That doesn't appear to be a traditional blower. Appears to be more something for a bathroom, I don't think it will move enough air. Buy a 1 hp dust collector if your laser is small or a 2 hp if it's very large, throw out the bags and hook it outside the wall and you're good to go, just make sure it pulls enough cfm.

On another note. Please add your laser info to your signature and your location so we can better help you and make recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Ashcroft View Post
    The laser I'm thinking of buying comes with a floor mounted fan, which stops the laser sitting close to the wall. As room in my workshop is at a premium I would like the laser right against the wall. My current laser which has an internal fan has a duct run to the outside air of about 10". For the new laser I'm thinking of a fan mounted on the external wall with the duct run from the back of the machine through the external wall to the fan being about 10".

I done a little googling and came across this unit (haven't put a link as I'm not sure if that's allowed):

150mm UEC External Centrifugal Fan

These models are exhaust air fans for installation on external walls. The unit consists of an external rotor motor fitted with a backward-curved centrifugal fan in a housing manufactured in zinc-plated steel, protected with a tough white powder-coat finish. All ambient noise created by the fan is kept outside the building if it is installed on an external wall.

TYPICAL APPLICATION
    Ideal for applications where it is vital that the noise levels are at an absolute minimum e.g. recording studios or medical consulting rooms. However, they are also commonly used in domestic kitchens.

• For outdoor wall installation
    • Removes noise from the inside of the building
    • Robust but unobtrusive
    • High performance
    • Speed controllable
    • IPx4 rated
    • Thermal protection
    • Ball bearing motors

It's meant to extract 600 cubic metres an hour, would this work?
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Signature added.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Would either of these be suitable Keith?
    https://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-con...kg-67-42-45-cm
    http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W886

Also, is there simple solution/adapter for running ducting through a wall or window and leaving a weather tight hole around it? Like a short length of non flexible ducting with a mounting plate attached?
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Trotec Speedy 360 120W
    Trotec Speedy 100 60W

Hi Andrew,

For a speedy 100 60w, or any other small to mid laser, either one you listed on a short run should work fine, they say they pull 680cpm. However I'm less familiar with the w886 layout so I don't know how the suction "in" port works, it's probably standard but cannot see it in the photo. Avoid a lot of sharp turns and pipe with 6" or your closest standard size equivalent would be my suggestion. Having ripped out a 4" duct it pays to do it right in 6" I learned the hard way.

As far as the wall.
    I was speaking of the wall as an interior wall, like you work in one room and you stick the blower in the other. Then the blower has an vent pipe going out the window. You can also mount the blower outside if you don't have this luxury or mount it inside with you if you must (note it will be crazy loud in a garage or other space with lots of hard surfaces).

If you put the blower outside you will want to cover the blower so as to avoid rain getting on it. A simple shanty will do or put it inside something like a small shed or dog house that you've drill multiple 1/2" or 1" holes in the side of so it can breathe would be a fairly simple pre-made solution. Many people have built these types of external blower covers search the site and some should come up.

Flex pipe sucks. It breaks, forms holes and dents, and interferes with the flow of air. Avoid it until the last mile on your laser right before you connect the laser to your rigid pipe.

As far as the pipes that go outside. If it was me I'd go through the window, glass is cheap, wall is more expensive. Cut a hole in the window pane the size of your pipe, or break the glass and replace it with a plastic sheet that you have cut the hole out of. Use a thicker plastic sheet so it supports the weight of the pipe better. Seal with any weather resistant sealant. I think I used window pane chalking on one, silicone chalking on another. Much of it is silicone these days.

Does that all make sense and answer your question?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Holloway View Post
    Would either of these be suitable Keith?
    https://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-con...kg-67-42-45-cm
    http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W886

Also, is there simple solution/adapter for running ducting through a wall or window and leaving a weather tight hole around it? Like a short length of non flexible ducting with a mounting plate attached?
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 10-10-2015 at 1:39 PM.

Thanks so much Keith, very helpful indeed. The doghouse idea sounds like a winner to me.
    (Sorry Julian for hijacking your thread)
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Trotec Speedy 360 120W
    Trotec Speedy 100 60W

No problem Andrew! Cheers!