Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where do you buy router bits?

where do you buy router bits?

Recently I have bought some Amana and Timberline bits locally but I'm wondering what others think of the following:

1) Whiteside
    2) Porter Cable (new line)
    3) Lee Valley (where are these made?)
    4) Festool

I particular I'm looking for a 1/2" shank Cove & Bead bit. I'll also admit to buying 3 bits from Woodline because for project specific bits I've gone cheap in the past.

Also, have any of the online shops been great for bits?

Thanks,

Pete

I have bought a couple recently at Sears that are industrial carbide bits at some decent prices. I got a big honking vertical panel raiser for about 24.00. In the past I have bought most of mine at Eagle America. I have had very good luck with them. I have looked at the PC line at Home Depot and they should be decent bits. Whiteside, Infinity and Frued are considered to be about the best bits around I believe.

Corey
    Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 08-27-2005 at 9:54 PM.

Peter, Whiteside makes excellent bits as does who ever makes Woodcraft bits. The Woodcraft house brand is a little cheaper than Whiteside. I Don't have any experience with the others.
    Dennis

I use mostly Whiteside.
    Try Routerbits.com

You may want to try routerbitworld.com as well. Inexpensive prices, quick turnaround, and $1 shipping. Regarding your list of manufacturers, I stay away from Porter Cable bits. I've had bad experiences with them on multiple occasions.

Ill give a thumbs up for routerbitworld as well. I ordered a few bits from them recently, good prices quick turnaround, what more can you ask for...

--
    John Cavanaugh

What about MLCS bits? Also how about the Katana line of bits that they have?

Pete,

I've used MLCS and had good luck with them so far. It is nice to be able to buy one bit for a job without having to worry about calculating shipping costs ("free" shipping on bits)

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout
    What about MLCS bits? Also how about the Katana line of bits that they have?
    I used a Katana rabbeting bit recently. I was impressed-thought it cut as well as the 'old' Jesada rabbet bit I use.

Curt

Hi, Mostly I will get Whiteside router bits. They even carry some with an 8mm shank that I use for my Leigh D4 dovetail jig instead of the smaller shank 1/4" bits. I thnk Lee Valley's bits are from Taiwan.
    take care,
    John

I have some Whiteside's, a lot of Woodcraft bits. Every month they have the "featured bit" on sale for ~ $5.00. The local Woodcraft always seems to have a basket of different bits on sale at the register. Can't beat the price, even with RI. tax.
    I tend to buy the bits as I need them, 'cept for straight cut and plunge bits, if they're on sale I always grab a few, same for pattern bits.
    I need to get a Rabbett set, but they're never in the on sale basket.

I put out the extra money a few yrs.back and bought a set of Freud bits.Turned out to be a good investment.

Peter, another thumbs up for Whiteside. Their solid carbide spiral bits are excellent and have been top rated when compared to others. (Based on a review in FWW magazine and personal experience) My Whitesides last longer and hold an edge better than the others I've used. I consider Whiteside a top quality bit at a mid-ranged price.
    Something else about Whiteside. They are located in North Carolina and have serviced the furniture industry here for years. Now that we have lost most of the quality furniture manufacturers to overseas locations, Whiteside seems to be putting more emphasis on other markets....like us. And I like buying USA made products when they are a great value.

Peter, I've been using www.Infinitytools.com lately. Nice selection but they also carry a full line of jointer and planer knives for most models and the service is very good.

Richard

John, Thanks for the report. Made in the USA. I do not know about anyone else but that makes a major difference to me. I support North American products when possible.