Thread: Blade tracking question for Laguna 14Twelve BS users

Blade tracking question for Laguna 14Twelve BS users

I installed a 3/4 inch Starrett blade....I adjusted the top wheel so it is centered on the top wheel no problem. On the bottom wheel the teeth of the blade hang over the edge (toward the door) by about 3/16". I tracked the blade at the top wheel further in (away from door) and adjusted the blade on the bottom to correspond with the top and after a couple of revolutions the blade migrated on the bottom as described before. To the point where the plastic Blanking Insert cannot be pushed all the way in. It would seem obvious that the top and bottom wheels are out of alignment.....I see no adjustment for that issue. I'd call Laguna but closed on the weekend.....hoping a 14Twelve user has some insight
    Thanks
    Ray

Blade alignment doesn't matter on the bottom wheel, hence no adjustment down there. Use the top when to adjust tracking until it is cutting straight.

If you back off on the blade tension to a 1/2" blade or less, can you readjust and the situation improves?
    If it improves, the frame may be flexing. There is adjustments for the lower wheel alignment, but talk to Laguns first.
    Joe

If the tires on the wheels are flat, rather than crowned, you may actually track better with teeth off the top wheel. If the tires are crowned, then in the middle on the top is likely correct.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had a similar issue with my 14/12. Laguna explained that the four bolts on the back of the saw on the lower wheel hub were used to adjust the tracking on the lower wheel. I did that, and all is now well.

Thank you for all the input & ideas.....I will double check with Laguna on Monday.

Spoke with Laguna....they walked me thru this fix....tracking ok now....thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Seward View Post
    Spoke with Laguna....they walked me thru this fix....tracking ok now....thanks
    Proof positive that adjustments to the lower wheel are made, and have a positive effect.

Raymond, to close the loop and leave valuable information here for future viewers, will you please let us know what the manufacturer had you do to adjust your machine? Thanks in advance!

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Raymond, to close the loop and leave valuable information here for future viewers, will you please let us know what the manufacturer had you do to adjust your machine? Thanks in advance!
    Yes, please. I'm thinking of buying this saw and would appreciate the info.

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi,

While waiting for Raymond to get back to us, let me share my experience. I have a 14-12 and had a severe tracking problem with the saw as shipped. (It turned out that the blade that shipped with the saw was defective.) In the course of trying to fix it I discovered that the blade was not vertical to the table, front to back. Raymond's problem sounds similar. The angle was too far off to be corrected by adjusting the plane of the top wheel. I checked to see if the top and bottom wheels were coplanar, and of course they were not. My impression from tech support is that Laguna does not think this is important. I adjusted the bottom wheel until it was coplanar with the top wheel. The saw tracks almost perfectly now with the blade centered on the wheels.

My 14-12 is my go-to saw, used for ripping and crosscutting as well as contour cutting and re-sawing. If it drifted it would be much less useful to me. When I say it tracks almost perfectly, I mean that the tracking error on a rip cut, using a 1/2" or 3/4" blade, is not measurable over 18"-24" unless I feed the work too fast and force the blade to twist. I mention this to counteract the manual that comes with the saw, which clearly suggests that drift is normal in a bandsaw, and recommends adjusting the fence to compensate for drift. (!?) I follow writers like Michael Fortune who say that bandsaw drift is not normal if the saw and blade are set correctly. That is my experience with this saw.

I have little good to say about Laguna blades, but the saw is wonderful. If you want a 14" and can afford the extra $$ this is worth serious consideration.

Doug