Thread: Green Wood Ladder Back Chairs

Green Wood Ladder Back Chairs

Hi everyone. I took a notion that I want to make a green wood ladder back chair. I've seen pictures of the Jennie Alexander's chairs, and I've sat in a couple Brian Boggs made. They are beautiful and comfortable.

Can anyone suggest the best book / DVD on making these chairs?

Russ Filbeck has a book out, and Jennie Alexander's book and DVD are available too. I read that Alexander's book is great on the harvesting of the lumber, but light on the details of the mechanics of building a chair.

Can any of you tell me your experiences?

Thanks!

The Chairmaker’s Workshop by Drew Langsner (book). While you are on the Country Workshops site check out Drew’s classes. He is in his early 70s and has cut back on the number of classes he offers but going there for a week is a wonderful experience. I enjoyed it immensely.
    http://countryworkshops.org/books.html

Jeff Lefkowitz teaches the Boggs style ladderback construction. He has a website, blog and instgram, which are full of info and eye-candy for us wood perverts.
    http://www.jefflefkowitzchairmaker.com

Plus 1 on the Russ Filbeck's book, very well done. He is also offers classes utilizing a progressive approach, i.e. students begin with a two-slat Ladder Back Chair and progress to the six-slat chair as they master the skills and techniques. Great guy to learn from and highly recommend his classes and/or his book. As a side note, his take on spoke shave design excellent!

Thanks Randy and Paul. I would dearly love to go take a class with one of these guys, but until then it'll have to be a book or two or three. Looking forward to getting into this.