Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chisel Gloat

Loving this thread. I must admit that Joe's original post with the pictures of the Imai set is my absolute favorite. These chisels are what I have been longing for for a long time. Some day I will just cave in and place the damn order before it is too late and he stops making these. I'm glad that David posted that information about the steel. I have never been able to find that good of a description and always just see sword steel. Sword steel to me could be just about anything but that sword steel sure does sound wonderful.

Heres a look at my favorites Tasai Five are my Dovetail chisels of course.Then my Bench chisel with the double hollow and my thin paring.The Dovetails Chisels are alittle over 8 inches long and easy to handle.
    I have some others Mortice and more paring but are my favorites.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Beaulieu View Post
    Hey Folks - New here and psyched to be part of the group!

I saw a few posts with Japanese Nomi discussed and I wanted to post a couple of pics of my set of Chutturo Imai Sword Steel bench chisels. I bought these about 15 years ago - over the course of a couple of years, from Koyoko at Misugi Designs. I then had some medical things crop up, and got relocated out to the east SF Bay area, so I am now just getting back into WW. I am blowing the dust off all my old tools and getting these organized in my shop, and connecting with folks online as well.

I would love to see other peoples collections, and not only nomi - if you have saws or planes I am very interested in all tools Japanese. I also want to start collecting hand tools. Making the rounds at flea markets and shows etc. Maybe I will see you there. I am very easy to recognize, being 6' 10" and slightly large. Lets just say Shaq and I could trade clothes. Or at least he could get into mine, I think I am a bit rounder.

So please let me see what you have and lets compare! Love to talk about tools!

Joe
    Where in E Bay? I'm in Pleasanton.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Thanks David....I suppose it could be Tomohagane, but they would probably make mention of it if it were, so based on the high carbon content I would venture to guess that you are accurate in your estimation.

back to Joe's original request for participation;

Kikuhiromaru, Tasai, Takahashi

Koyamaichi (1-6 from the left), ouchi, Yamahiro.

Hi Brian, mind sharing a few words on your ouchi chisels? I'm considering ordering a set from Stu and I'm curious how they stack up to other makers.

Blog Entries
    I ended up selling them a while back, they're fine chisels but my preference is for Kikuhiromaru, Konobu and Stan Covington's smith.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    I have a question. My chisels are in a leather chisel roll, similar to the link below.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/l...isel-roll.aspx

Blog Entries
    Do not see question Lowell?Nice chisel roll though.

Here is my little collection of Japanese chisels:
    Japanesechisels.jpg

The second and third from the left are my favorites, made by Stan's maker in Japan. Sharpen easily and stay sharp too.

Blog Entries
    Nice, and excellent job on the hoops!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Kiyohisa slicks (photo taken when I received them several years ago). there is now a 4-6 year wait on these ...

Koyamaichi dovetail chisels. The three on the left date from the 1980s, with the three on the right custom from Mr Koyama ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Beaulieu View Post
    Hey Folks - New here and psyched to be part of the group!

I saw a few posts with Japanese Nomi discussed and I wanted to post a couple of pics of my set of Chutturo Imai Sword Steel bench chisels. I bought these about 15 years ago - over the course of a couple of years, from Koyoko at Misugi Designs. I then had some medical things crop up, and got relocated out to the east SF Bay area, so I am now just getting back into WW. I am blowing the dust off all my old tools and getting these organized in my shop, and connecting with folks online as well.

I would love to see other peoples collections, and not only nomi - if you have saws or planes I am very interested in all tools Japanese. I also want to start collecting hand tools. Making the rounds at flea markets and shows etc. Maybe I will see you there. I am very easy to recognize, being 6' 10" and slightly large. Lets just say Shaq and I could trade clothes. Or at least he could get into mine, I think I am a bit rounder.

So please let me see what you have and lets compare! Love to talk about tools!

Joe

Attachment 323137Attachment 323138
    I have Lie Nielsen and Blue Spruce myself and being the type of woodworker that seems to be more of a collector now, these types of chisels have really piqued my interest. They are really intimidating though. I can sharpen the LN and Blue Spruce chisels myself without worrying but on the chisel sets that are four thousand a set how do you even touch them without thinking you are destroying a hundred dollars a sharpening?

Very nice, now, let's see what you can do with them

Blog Entries
    I can sharpen the LN and Blue Spruce chisels myself without worrying but on the chisel sets that are four thousand a set how do you even touch them without thinking you are destroying a hundred dollars a sharpening?
    Easy, make something that is worth more than $100 per sharpening.

Almost all of my chisels are bought used, mostly Buck Brothers and Witherby. They will pare wood just as good as a $4,000 dollar set. Some may be worth more than what was paid for them. They may not be as good as chisels made of modern steel when it comes to holding an edge, but it is much less work to get them to pay for themselves through the work they can do.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-22-2016 at 4:01 PM. Reason: ,mostly Buck Brothers and Witherby
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When Bahco ,( Sandvik was one of their brands ),rethought chisel design they ended up with a short lived model that was much like the Japanese design.

14. I don't have a set, but I have 1 sword steel chisel from Misugi. One of my nicest, though I don't like it as much as my Tasai- they are almost the same size (18 mm, or so), but the Tasai just seems to "feel" better. Hard to explain, I guess.

Eric