Thread: Wixey Digital Planer Readout Problem

Wixey Digital Planer Readout Problem

I have a DW735 with the Wixey Digital Readout. I put a new battery in it and was using it and worked well. However, every once in awhile, it would reset to some other number. It was still in inches and would change for about .385" to something like 1.50" but not the same thing each time. It would work fine for awhile and then something random.

Has anyone had a similar problem or any suggestions?
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-11-2015 at 9:25 PM. Reason: Fixed the Title....

With the Wixey turned OFF have you ever bumped in to or purposely raised or lowered the head? This would throw the calibration off on the Wixey and you would need to recalibrate it.

This happened to me several times on my Delta DC380 planer till I put it in a spot where it was completely out of the way. If the battery is good then this is the only reason I know of which would affect the readout on the Wixey.

A slightly bad battery connection could do this. Clean the battery connections well. I use a pencil eraser (non abrasive). Clean the battery surfaces where they touch the contacts too.

Charley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    A slightly bad battery connection could do this. Clean the battery connections well. I use a pencil eraser (non abrasive). Clean the battery surfaces where they touch the contacts too.

Charley
    Every problem I ever had with a Wixey was related to the battery. Even ones that test "good" can give poor results. I have found over time that buying the batteries as I need them from the pharmacy works much better and costs much less. I wasted a lot of time and money buying several at a time from Battery Depot or the like in order to save money. There is nothing wrong with their batteries, they just don't store well. I've tried in the freezer, in the fridge, in my home office, in a vacuum bag, etc., etc. Nothing beats "fresh" batteries for the Wixey products.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler