Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodworker's Guild Question

I am a member of my LOCAL woodworkers guild. It can be enjoyable and informative, and we offer local scholarship money to area youth seeking higher education in woodworking related fields. Perhaps you can find a smaller , more personal and local guild near you where your money goes to members of your community.
    I myself would have no interest in that large and impersonal of a guild.

Yes. I got the free DVD, along with a payment form. If I didn't want the DVD, I was to return it at MY expense. Buried in the fine print it stated that I wasn't required to do anything. Then I got several followup letters reminding me that I had never paid for the DVD.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    +1 to this. If they are sending something out like that, I have never seen it.

Anyone actually have experience with this accusation, or is it all hearsay?
    I have actually experienced it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    +1 to this. If they are sending something out like that, I have never seen it.

Anyone actually have experience with this accusation, or is it all hearsay?
    I've received two different DVDs within the last year, and I can tie both back to my subscription to Wood magazine. I know they can't make me pay for it, and since I didn't order it, it goes on the shelf without payment.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I've received two different DVDs within the last year, and I can tie both back to my subscription to Wood magazine. I know they can't make me pay for it, and since I didn't order it, it goes on the shelf without payment.
    Same happened to me, except I got a free box of router bits. The pestering that followed convinced me not to deal with Wood magazine anymore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Merriam View Post
    Same happened to me, except I got a free box of router bits. The pestering that followed convinced me not to deal with Wood magazine anymore
    I got those my first year of Wood. I found a subscription price that gave me something crazy, like 5 years, for a few dollars per year (I think I paid <$20), so I said "why not?". Then those offers started rolling in. I left the subscription open because it wasn't costing me anything at that point, but I ignored everything else. I think my subscription is finally up in November or December of this year.

Got a magazine or DVD in the mail a few years ago from Wood magazine, followed by months of payment demands.

My wife and I joined Angie's List for just one year, and the next year a membership charge appeared on our credit card statement. We had it removed and made it clear to the Angie's List people that we had not and would not be continuing our membership. For the next several years the charge kept appearing on our credit card statement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Got a magazine or DVD in the mail a few years ago from Wood magazine, followed by months of payment demands.

My wife and I joined Angie's List for just one year, and the next year a membership charge appeared on our credit card statement. We had it removed and made it clear to the Angie's List people that we had not and would not be continuing our membership. For the next several years the charge kept appearing on our credit card statement.
    AL is a recurring charge (wife got hit with the same thing). At the time (don't know about now), it was NOT clear AL was a recurring charge, but she was willing to eat it. I told her to let AL know you did not expect another charge, and if they didn't remove it, she would do a chargeback. AL was a LOT different than I had imagined, essentially just a site with coupons for services we didn't need... it was an e-version of Money magazine, another 3rd-class mailbox stuffer.

WWGOA is one of two outfits that I like getting stuff from. I have bought a couple of their videos, which were perfect for my skill level, and I get access to premium content online. The other one that I like is Woodsmith. I think both are worth the nominal price. I recently dropped FWW because it was too pricey for what I was getting out of it. Just my 2 cents (USD) which is about 14 cents Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wunder View Post
    I belive that WWGOA is tied to Wood Magazine in some way
    No, they are not. George Vondriska is doing his own thing.