Thread: Drilling Dog holes Tip

Drilling Dog holes Tip

I've struggled for a couple years on an economical way to drill bench dog holes.

My forstner gives the cleanest and tightest results, but doesn't do well on thick tops.

I never got tight results with a spade bit; which makes holdfasts tricky for me to set.

I stumbled on this method and it works very well for me:

1. Drill with a 3/4" forstner bit down 1/2"; enough to start the hole.
    2. Switch to a 1/2" twist or brad point bit, and drill through the bench.
    3. Switch back to the 3/4" forstner and widen the hole. The clearance hole prevents heat and chip build up, and keeps the bit cutting cool and efficiently.

Quick, tight, effortness.

This may be a stupid question, but I am fairly new and do not have a bench with dog holes (yet), but how do you ensure the holes stay/are vertical, and not drilled at an angle?

I find my forstner bit and a hand held drill stay vertical 'enough'. My bench is only 2.25" thick, so maybe it matters on a thicker top, but eyeballing it works fine.

Nice tip Prashun, thank you.

Blog Entries
    On my last couple of surfaces that had dog holes I vowed to cure the non-perpendicular issue. These were pretty thick surfaces and so the problem of crooked holes can get amplified by their length. Like Patel I use a staged method. I drill with the 3/4" Forstner for 1/8" or so. I then use the Forstners center dimple and drill down the center with a 7/16" twist drill . . . I am able to stay vertical enough to do this free hand. This eliminates a lot of the spoil and makes the plunge routing go very quickly.

Use a backer:

dog holes explained 016.jpg

I then use a plunge router and a 3/4" spiral bit to drill as far as I can (but not through the other side).

dog holes explained 001.jpg . TNNW (63).jpg

Lastly, I flip the top and clean up the bottom of the holes with a 3/8" flush bit in a small router.

I use a similar method with a template. Once the first set of holes are done, dogs register the template for the next set and so on. This example also has slots as it is an assembly/clamping surface.

TS-Outfeed (11).jpg . TS-Outfeed (13).jpg

Definitely more involved than an auger and a brace but, I had reached my limit with non-perpendicular holes. Your use of the holes will directly affect your tolerance for what is good enough. If they're working for you, they're perfect .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-12-2015 at 2:05 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

As it happens I drilled some dog holes last night. I have settled on using LV brad point drill bit using guide bushing from the above post to drill the first two inches or so and I finish by hand with auger bit from wood owl. Works very well.

Another bit that works well in the power drill is wood owl overdrive bit http://www.amazon.com/WoodOwl-00705-.../dp/B004IJTZ50
    Overdrive bit actually cuts better than LV brad point bit. I sometimes end up reaming with a 49/64 bit to make bench dogs slide a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    This is awesome! Thanks for posting that. Didn't know that product existed.

I marked my hole locations with a penciled "x", then 1) used a hand drill equipped with one of those drill press converters attached to the drill to drill out 3/8" holes with a spade bit, 2) Used my plunge router with a 3/4" straight bit to establish the perpendicular hole (it does not plunge all the way through). The plunge router base was held in position by a straight edge/jig gizmo 3) Went back to the hand drill equipped with a 3/4" brad point to drill all the way through. The initial 3/8" spade bit clears the hole out an amount that causes lots less work/heat for the dado bit and the brad point both, plus the plunged router hole seemed to result in a perpendicular start that was followed by the 3/4" bit. I always envisioned using a longer 3/4" up cut spiral bit, but found them cost prohibitive at the time and I always wanted to follow up with the 49/64" or so sized bit but those aren't as readily available for walk-in pickup at the local store, so I had to reduce the diameter of my dowel stock slightly. I have perpendicular holes without having to purchase extra items, as I have had the drill press converter mounted to an old corded hand drill for years.
    Last edited by David Eisenhauer; 10-12-2015 at 6:00 PM.
    David

Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Prashun,

Thank you for your excellent (and cost effective) tip. Lee Valley has a jig that will help others drill vertical holes. I purchased a non LV look alike about 20 years ago and I have used it multiple times; most recently when I used Confirmats to assemble a cabinet

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,180,42311