Thread: Arkansas Just got it's first Woodworking Store!

Blog Entries

Arkansas Just got it's first Woodworking Store!

And it's in my town!
    On my lunch hour today I checked out the new woodworking store in Fort Smith Arkansas called Mark's Machinery. I saw an ad on TV for it last night and thought I would go check it out. It is run by a local guy, Mark, who thinks there is a market in this area, even though Woodcraft and Rockler turned him down saying Fort Smith was not a big enough town to open one of their stores here. I am really excited to not have to drive 2 1/2 hours to get a decent tool. He carries Saw Stop, Powermatic, and even Festool, along with turning supplies and all the other fun stuff we all love. He told me that there is even a wood turners club that will be meeting at the store each month! Oh, boy, I am excited!
    I really hope he is successful, I know that I will be supporting him as much as I can, and I wanted to let all the SMC community members in this area know of his existence, in case you had not heard. The store is located in the old Tom Bull Appliances store building on Towson Ave, right across the street from the U-Haul in Fort Smith.

Three things:
    I know this sounds like an advertisement, but I posted it in the spirit of a public service announcement.
    I have no affiliation with this store at all.
    The store owner does not know that I posted this.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Sounds like a reason to celebrate to me Larry!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Larry, thanks for posting this. I'm a few miles north of you but had not heard about it, will have to check it out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Larry, thanks for posting this. I'm a few miles north of you but had not heard about it, will have to check it out.

Julian,
    They have been running their TV ad on the Channel 5 News. They are having a grand opening thing on Saturday. I will probably show up at some point.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    And it's in my town!
    On my lunch hour today I checked out the new woodworking store in Fort Smith Arkansas called Mark's Machinery. I saw an ad on TV for it last night and thought I would go check it out. It is run by a local guy, Mark, who thinks there is a market in this area, even though Woodcraft and Rockler turned him down saying Fort Smith was not a big enough town to open one of their stores here. I am really excited to not have to drive 2 1/2 hours to get a decent tool. He carries Saw Stop, Powermatic, and even Festool, along with turning supplies and all the other fun stuff we all love. He told me that there is even a wood turners club that will be meeting at the store each month! Oh, boy, I am excited!
    I really hope he is successful, I know that I will be supporting him as much as I can, and I wanted to let all the SMC community members in this area know of his existence, in case you had not heard. The store is located in the old Tom Bull Appliances store building on Towson Ave, right across the street from the U-Haul in Fort Smith.

Three things:
    I know this sounds like an advertisement, but I posted it in the spirit of a public service announcement.
    I have no affiliation with this store at all.
    The store owner does not know that I posted this.
    Larry, does he plan to do any mail order sales?

Does he carry supplies like glue, lacquer, small box hinges, and etc? If he does I might have to make a trip through the tunnel and over the mountain for a look see.
    Larry

I also am a believer in supporting the local business.I have a tool guy close by he might not be the cheapest but has save me more than once.Lost my chuck key once on a Saturday had a new one in my hand in short order.There was no discussion about money he knew I was in a pinch.

Sweet. I'll be stopping in next time I head to Ft. Smith. That's very close to my supplier's warehouse.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Julian,
    They have been running their TV ad on the Channel 5 News. They are having a grand opening thing on Saturday. I will probably show up at some point.
    Well, guess that's why I hadn't heard about it, we only watch ole Craig C. on channel 7 news. When my wife hits the upcoming craft fair weekend I"ll take a spin to Ft. Smith and check out the new boy toys. Again, thanks for the heads up Larry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Larry, does he plan to do any mail order sales?
    I have no idea, but I think not at this time. I did manage find a web page: http://marksmachinery.net/
    He is just starting and does not have the backing of a chain like Woodcraft so I wouldn't expect too much in the way of online or mail order just yet.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 10-14-2015 at 12:52 PM.
    Larry J Browning

I just moved from Atlanta and was really bummed to find out that there wasn't a woodworking store in this area. The other day I was driving by and noticed the tools in the window and stopped to check it out. Mark and his family welcomed me to the store and we talked for a while about a few tools I was interested in. The selection here is on par or better than a Woodcraft and I will be a regular here for as long as I live in the area. Good to meet you today at the Grand opening Larry.