Thread: Epifanes rubbed effect varnish and shellac in the shower

Epifanes rubbed effect varnish and shellac in the shower

I am making a shower bench that will be finished in epifanes rubbed effect varnish.

the instructions advise to first seal with 3 coats of thinned gloss epifanes clear varnish and then apply the final rubbed (satin) coat. They dont say to thin it, but it is extremely thick. How have you all applied this? Roll and tip? Thin and brush?

also, is there a downside to sealing the bare wood with shellac before the gloss? I love the way top coats go on over a surface sealed with shellac. But am i asking for problems in a shower even though there will be several layers of varnish on top?

I have no clue about the rubbed effect varnish but for the gloss stuff you apply the last couple of coats unthinned. It's thick, but it does flow out after it's brushed on. That said, I see no problem putting on more thinned coats. As long as you put on the same total amount it shouldn't matter how you get there; at least in my simple mind.

I would not put shellac under it. You thin the first couple of coats of gloss so that it will get into the wood and bond. I think shellac will inhibit that bond.

John

Thanks, as always, John.

I tried the rubbed effect brushed at full strength. YUCK! It's like plastic rubber that thick. It looks like I plastidipped it in clear rubber. I've got to experiment thinning it.

I spoke to customer service and learned a couple things.

It's pronounced epi-FAHness, not epi-FAYNES.

They said the varnish can be applied over shellac.

They don't recommend wiping because this finish is designed to be built up for protection.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 10-14-2015 at 3:01 PM.

Keep in mind that a varnish like Epifanes is very slippery when wet. Be sure no one stands on the bench with wet feet.
    Howie.........

thanks for the tip. My wife WILL be putting her feet up on it for shaving.

Do you guys have recommendations for a good brush besides the Epifanes one?