Thread: Walnut Pedestal Bowl ...

Walnut Pedestal Bowl ...

This actually started out to be a larger hollow form, at least the largest I've tried to do on this ShopSmith lathe. It was a piece of Walnut log I cut down three weeks ago on our property near Lake Anna, in Hanover County at Beaverdam. I managed to get the outside turned fairly well and started to hollow it out. Since it's a fairly large piece of wood and I was hollowing from the end, I left it on center until I could rough some of it out. The problem occurred when I took it off the live center and was just using the faceplate to hold it. I was thinning the inside and going along well, when I got a catch and cracked the side, about 1/3 of the way up. It wouldn't have been too bad to fix, if there hadn't been a large knot come out, too. So I cut down the height and this nutbowl emerged (7 1/2" X 5" tall). Still pretty, but I want to do a large vase, still. I have lots of wood, so I'll tackle it soon. Thanks for looking and happy turning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA; 06-08-2003 at 8:59 PM.
    Thanks, Ron

Nice!

Cool Bowl, Ron. Not a bad recovery effort.
    I like the pedestal turnings, they just look elegant. The Walnut sure makes nice bowls. I don't turn..............yet.............but it must just about kill you when all is going along smoothly and then the dreaded catch. I guess the recovery from the disaster is where the real talent comes in. Great job, even though it turned out differently that you anticipated. Thanks for sharing the photo!

Looks great, Ron! Keep posting pics of your work so that us others can continue to have at least one source of inspiration.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Cool Cool bowl.

Cool looking bowl, Ron. Donchya' just "love" it when you get a catch at the worst possible time?! Especially in Walnut, you're lucky the thing didn't blow up on ya'. Yeah, Walnut is such a "joy" to turn, but the results, as your example shows, look elegant. Keep 'em coming....!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!