Thread: Laminating a curved stair rail

Laminating a curved stair rail

Going to bend a gentle curved handrail tomorrow
    Be the second one I have done, last one was twenty three years ago
    Any tips advice will be appreciated
    Carpe Lignum

The Normster did one. I don't remember just when, but...

I did several curved 10 foot sections a few years ago from 1/4" thick laminations. I made a built up plywood form to bend them against. I used Plastic Resin Glue and applied it with a roller. I added two backer layers over the 10 laminations and used an F-clamp about every 6 - 8", working from the center outwards to each end. I had to work quickly to get it all clamped up within the allowable open time of the glue, but they all came out great.

John

I did one for our house less than a year ago: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...sts&highlight=
    Was my first time. Two long runs were 16' laminations. I made L brackets out of plywood and screwed to the floor to which the rail was clamped.
    I used epoxy (west system). It is messy but works great IMO and gives you lots of time if you working solo (which I was). I used about one clamp every 3" or so.

Wow there are really too many things to write in one post...is this on a flat or stairs? Did you buy bending rail or are you making your own? I have only used yellow glues, but I am sure epoxy would work great if used correctly, I just don't have any experience with it.
    You can buy Titebond Extend, which has a longer open time. Depending on the rail width and radius you may get a little springback. You will need to have your ducks in a row and it would really help to have an extra set of hands to spread glue and put on clamps. Hope it goes well for you!

Went good
    Dry run first
    Aligned to the outside of wall
    large L brackets
    titebond three
    will remove clamps thursday or fridayIMG_3298.jpg
    Carpe Lignum

I'd wait until at least Friday. You want the glue completely set to avoid any spring back. However that is a pretty gentle curve.